scone recipe for savoury and sweet

(6 Posts)
minibreadstick Mon 15-Jul-13 22:15:24

I made them and they were yum! The idea of cutting with a knife not a shaped cutter is genius! ! Thank you smile

DonutForMyself Mon 15-Jul-13 14:54:25

The 75ml and one egg was from the original recipe, so yes sorry, you would double that if you are doubling the rest of it!

I just sprinkle flour straight on the tray and I find it easier to remove them than if greasing (maybe my old manky trays!)

minibreadstick Mon 15-Jul-13 14:24:47

And is the tray just floured or is it greased then floured? Sorry for all the questions!

minibreadstick Mon 15-Jul-13 14:23:12

That's brilliant! Thank you! Do I add 1 egg and 75ml milk overall or do I add that to each of the two mixes? Hope that makes sense!

DonutForMyself Mon 15-Jul-13 12:58:00

I use my Grandma's Be-Ro baking book (think they were a flour brand many years ago!)

200g SR flour
1/5 tsp salt
50g marg (I use butter and usually add an extra 15-20g for good measure!)

I make double the mix, then halve it and add 25 sugar to the sweet ones and a handful of grated cheese to the savoury ones.

To bind you need 1 egg and 75ml milk (I usually add a bit extra so there's some left for glazing, or you can just use milk).

I add a tsp of mustard to the second half of the milk mix for the savoury ones.

I form the dough into a rough square shape by hand and chop it into 9 smaller squares (saves all that re-rolling to make circles, which can make them tough), glaze and sprinkle cheese or sugar on top, put them onto floured trays at 220c for about 10 mins.

minibreadstick Mon 15-Jul-13 12:45:11

any good recipes for scones? im thinking about making some today, i would like to make some raisin ones and some cheese ones, and ideally would like to make one mix and then split it to make the different ones. but in my delia book it has two completely different recipes for raisin and cheese scones.please help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now