Dairy-free buttercream icing?

(7 Posts)
Nolda Wed 03-Jul-13 12:56:07

What's the best dairy-free substitute for butter to make dairy-free buttercream icing, please?

Vitalite dairy free works well. Pure spread is next best, but it needs more warming up.

Nolda Wed 03-Jul-13 13:07:23

Thanks, Inmy. I used Pure for the cake but it looks very soft, so was having a bit of a wobble about the icing.

CMOTDibbler Wed 03-Jul-13 13:10:52

I cooked from Ms Cupcakes vegan cookery book at the weekend, and she combines Trex and dairy free spread for the icing, and it was fabulous - really held its shape well and tasted lovely.
75g trex, 75g df spread, 750g icing sugar, 40-60ml soy milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Beat together furiously.

I can never get pure to work in cakes. They rise, then they fall, leaving not cake but dwarf battle-breadblush.

CMOTDibbler Wed 03-Jul-13 13:56:51

Inmysparetime - I'd guess that it is because Pure is quite wet. Try reducing or eliminating entirely the amount of liquid you add. Or try Trex

I'd attributed it to my general ineptitude at baking! Pure makes nice pastry though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now