What is the best ready made cake mix?

(8 Posts)
SeaWave Wed 19-Jun-13 23:24:51

Thanks all, will add betty Crocker to the food shop, and will definitely try the freezing tip. Thanks for not flaming me for not trying to make homemade!

siblingrevelry Wed 19-Jun-13 13:59:34

Has to be Betty Crocker - if you want vanilla use the marble cake but omit the cocoa powder, devils food is fab chocolate cake. They are dense enough to withstand decorating (I attended a food course where the teachers told us lots of professionals use betty crocker. It is what they use in their cookery school masterclasses, so don;t worry about food snobbery!

isitsnowingyet Tue 18-Jun-13 18:05:39

~Betty Crocker

quip Tue 18-Jun-13 18:03:32

Betty crocker is way better than rhe rest.

Top tip: cool and cover with foil then film and freeze. Dothe cutting and frosting when cake has been frozen for about an hour. This way you'll get the shape you want without the cake tearing and you won't get excess crumbs when you frost. There are some excellent videos of this on the US betty crocker site, including how to do a castle cake.

orangepudding Tue 18-Jun-13 17:58:33

Cake box cake mixes tend to make soft cakes. In your situation I would probably buy some ready made cakes like madeira to cut to shape.

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 18-Jun-13 17:56:52

I came onto this thread to say exactly what Maggie just said grin

It's amazing!

Maggie111 Tue 18-Jun-13 17:55:27

I love a good home made cake but I have to say - Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake with her Chocolate Fudge Frosting is delicious!! grin

www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256240847

www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250806217

SeaWave Mon 17-Jun-13 22:31:08

I know this is really bad to use ready mixes, don't hate me! but I am making a big castle shaped birthday cake, so will need to make a few cakes, and I have a disability which means mixing and lifting weighing etc is hard. Have a mixer but its tiny so would take forever in that.

So what is the best ready made cake mix, cost isn't an issue, and what is the best icing/covering to use? I'm intending to crush digestives and stick them all over the icing/topping to look like its made of sand. Well that is the plan!

Thankyou!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now