Birthday cake advice needed please!

(3 Posts)
Sarah1611 Mon 17-Jun-13 12:51:59

If you're sugar pasting I wouldn't do two layers of buttercream, this will usually give you a bumpy finish. Just one very thin buttercream layer before the sugar paste is fine. I use trex for kneading but icing sugar underneath when rolling out.

Marrow Sun 16-Jun-13 23:44:01

No don't put in fridge before icing. You need to do a rough crumb coating with buttercream and can pop this in fridge but only for a few minutes. Then do a smooth buttercream coating followed by your fondant.

You can use Trex to help roll out the fondant and it won't affect the flavour. You only need a small amount though.

I'm making DD's first birthday cake (birthday Tues) tomorrow.
Planning on making a madeira cake, cut into a 1 shape and iced with ready-roll fondant icing.

Is it best to chill in the fridge or freezer before decorating? And how long for ideally?

Also with the ready-roll, I've seen that it can be rolled/kneaded with grease as opposed to icing sugar, has anyone tried this? What did you use, and did it affect the flavour? I used icing sugar when I did DS's cake, but it was only for small decoration rather than covering, and it did end up with some fading where i couldn't brush the sugar away. Obviously I don't want a fondant covered cake to have that.

TIA smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now