Help with cake baking in my new electric oven

(7 Posts)
storynanny Thu 27-Jun-13 19:39:34

I hate this new electric oven. Can't seem to get anything to brown and it takes ages to heat up. I keep reading you don't need to preheat fan ovens, but if something needs say 25 mins and it takes 15 mins to heat up how can that work? Wish I still had my old gas cooker, please tell me I will get used to it!

I use 180 for sandwich type cakes, 190 for cup cakes and 160 for deeper Madeira type cakes.

In a fan oven I drop the temp but 10 degrees. I bake an 8 inch sandwich layer at 170 for 25 minutes.

You may need o play with your oven to find the temp that works best for you. I would also recommend getting a oven thermometer to check just how hot your oven is at the temps on the dial.

storynanny Sat 15-Jun-13 18:39:39

Instructed not I strutted! Ridiculous ipad

storynanny Sat 15-Jun-13 18:38:44

Thanks, I think I've been using too low a temperature, will have another go!

chocoluvva Sat 15-Jun-13 18:37:44

I'd bake a single layer Victoria sandwich cake at about 180 for about 30 mins.

With a deeper cake I sometimes slide a sheet of tinfoil half-way through the cooking to avoid the top burning before the middle is cooked.

storynanny Sat 15-Jun-13 18:33:47

Have always had a gas oven, now got a new electric fan oven and have had couple of disastrous cake baking sessions. All of my cake recipes use gas or electric settings, all pre fan ovens. I usually cook sandwich tins about gas mark 6 for 25 or 30 mins and deeper tins about gas mark 4 or 5 for about 40 mins to an hour depending on size of tin and type of mixture.
So far I've reduced temp as I strutted but cakes have either been uncooked in the middle, not risen properly or look very anaemic!
Hopefully one of you electric fan oven cake baking experts will be able to guide me, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now