Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Hand mixer or stand mixer?

(6 Posts)
WitchOfEndor Fri 14-Jun-13 19:36:14

Thanks both, think I might go for a hand mixer then

I have the Kenwood Prospero which is the entry level Kenwood stand mixer. It is very compact, has food processor and blender attachments as well as the main bowl which has a dough hook, beater and whisk. You do need storage space for the FP and blender. I love it and wouldn't be without it. I never thought I had room for a stand mixer, but it has fitted into a corner in between the fruit bowl and microwave really neatly.

Before this I had a Kenwood hand mixer, which was great for cakes and whisking, but you couldn't do dough. I also had a big old food processor which I never used as it lived in a cupboard, now having the prospero out all the time means I use the FP part much more often. I also like using the Prospero for beating and whisking as it frees you up to clear away ingredients, put paper cases in bun tins, whatever, while it is doing the work.

A food processor could do most of the jobs the Prospero does, but not beat cake mixes (well mine couldn't). I didn't think it was very good for dough either.

I have a Kenwood K-Mix which still gets used 5 times a week and is running perfectly nearly 4 years later.

WitchOfEndor Thu 13-Jun-13 19:00:37

Hi blueberry what type of hand mixer did you have?

If you have the space and will use it then a stand mixer is brilliant but for someone who doesn't bake that often you may find it a great place to store little bits of junk and a hand mixer may be more practical. I have 2 stand mixers but I do bake for a living, until I started professionally I happily got by on a hand mixer.

WitchOfEndor Thu 13-Jun-13 13:28:15

DH has offered to get me a new mixer for my birthday after I commented that my old Kenwood hand mixer (prob 20 years old) is starting to struggle. I don't bake every week and don't have enough storage space so I'm not sure whether to get a stand mixer or whether a hand mixer would be better. I don't need it to mix dough or anything complicated ( but admit that I am tempted to go for a bells and whistles machine for my birthday as I would never be able to justify the expense otherwise).

What do you think? Can I be a successful baker without a stand mixer? Would a food processor do the same job or should I go for a cheaper ( and easier to store) hand mixer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now