Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Help me plan the timing of the birthday cake I'm making.

(8 Posts)
KarlaPilkington Mon 03-Jun-13 14:02:07

I want to make DSs birthday cake. His birthday party is on a Sunday. I have a fab chocolate cake recipe and I am planning on covering it with ganache, then fondant and then toppings on the fondant. I live in a very hot place, so can't leave the cake out, especially iced. I have a Wilton airtight cake holder/ carrier. This is the first time I will ever have made a birthday cake start to finish and I'm not sure how to plan it so its ll ready on time, whilst still being a moist cake.

Please advise!

inneedofrain Thu 06-Jun-13 12:09:50

Ok you can make the cake when ever you like and freeze it, or make it about 2 days in advance and fridge it.

Make the ganache in advance too and fridge that.

put the layers together (assuming you are layering)

Melt the chilled ganache down,

Fridge cake untill cold, (or 20 mins in the freezer if you haven´t defrosted it / frozen it) pour ganache over. Warning ganache will set fast.

Put back in fridge

Make foundant decorate cake and your done.

It will take about 10mins to deal with the foundant so you can make everything up in advance and then just put it together right at the last monent if you want.

KarlaPilkington Thu 06-Jun-13 12:50:26

inneedofrain, thanks you are a superstar. One more Q if you don't mind. I am a bit of a perfectionist. I am terrified that my cake will go dry. If I put it in the fridge, ganashed or not, won't it dry up.

I have nightmares about people saying my bday cake is dry behind my back.

KarlaPilkington Thu 06-Jun-13 12:51:51

eek, with a ganache topping, not gnashed!

inneedofrain Thu 06-Jun-13 12:58:41

Um, no!

A sponge cake will taste dry straight out of the fridge but if you take it out say 5 to 10mins prior to slicing it will be lovely and moist again.

What type of chocolate cake it is?

Are you fully covering it in ganache?

Both of the above may effect the dryness nature of the cake.

Eg a chocolate with little or no flour is a lot more moist cake fully ganaches cakes by their nature are sealed by the ganach, which keeps them moist.

KarlaPilkington Thu 06-Jun-13 13:17:16

I have had a practise with this recipe inneed as I have a couple of cakes to make.

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Extreme-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

I used 2 different tins and found that the first cake was super moist, the second not so. It may have been because I had to leave the batter out (in the heat) whilst the first layer cooked as my oven is small. Also it stuck to the cake tin. I didn't get to cover it with ganache as when I went to get the chocolate out of the fridge I found that my sons had eaten half of it when I wasn't looking. In the end I used the bit of ganache I could make in between the 2 cakes, which was really not a good idea. The cake was nice, but was not as nice as I'd like. I did go to a party last week where the shop had made possibly the most delicious cake which was super moist, super chocolately, with a layer of chocolate mousse in the middle, with a layer of chocolate biscuit balls on top of the mousse and I do believe I gave out an orgasmic cry when I took a bite. How embarrassing! That's my benchmark blush

To answer your Q, yes I will cover with ganache and was looking to put 2 layers on it.

inneedofrain Thu 06-Jun-13 13:41:18

Karla

Check you inbox, I think I can point you in the right direction,

KarlaPilkington Thu 06-Jun-13 13:44:15

Thx for the message. Truly appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now