Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

best white icing/frosting (not fondant)

(8 Posts)

I have made and frozen the layers for a rainbow cake. I would like to fill and cover with a very white icing fronting(not fondant) and I was wondering if standard buttercream might be a bit sickly since there are so many cake layers. Any ideas? I am reasonably proficient and the cake will be coated the morning of the party.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 02-Jun-13 15:28:18

Italian meringue buttercream isn't as sweet?

cookielove Sun 02-Jun-13 15:29:41

Seven minute icing - is the most wonderful icing ever smile

MrsSpagBol Sun 02-Jun-13 16:07:29

White chocolate ganache?

3littlewomen Sun 02-Jun-13 16:13:58

The icing used on Rachel Allens red velvet cake.... A bit of effort but devine! I think it may be a form of meranigue

Thanks for the suggestions...will check them out

missmoffatt2705 Mon 03-Jun-13 15:01:21

How about a cream cheese icing - that should turn out white in colour and is less sweet than buttercream?

inneedofrain Thu 06-Jun-13 12:14:32

I would go for italian butter cream. Very very very white.

I also colour my icing for inside the cake one to match each tier of the ranbow so when you cut the cake it doesn´t have red, white, yellow etc. BUT I am complusive that way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now