wheat and dairy free birthday cake

(10 Posts)

Well.

I actually found that the wheat free flour I had was too old.... when shops were closed,

So I ended up making a cake using three layers of an egg and banana mixture, with some cinnamon in... then layered with some thin marzipan with some choc icing on the top. It came out really small which was ok as it was really rich and.... very delicious.... which I wasnlt sure as it felt a bit made up as we went along!

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 21-May-13 22:46:00

I've made these before chocolate brownies. In the comments people have suggested they work well with gluten free flour too.

sigh....

Been chatting to DH about this all week and he has just suddenly mentioned that Grandad Mumble does not like cake.

Arse.

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 21-May-13 22:42:35

If you're not vegan i believe you can substitute agave nectar with honey.

Thanks for your suggestions - my daughter not keen on nuts but I love the orange cake.... The Elanaspantry is a little.... tricky on hte ingredients:

½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
3 eggs
½ cup agave nectar
½ cup grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon orange zest
½ cup chocolate drops

hee heee... I am just clean out of agave nectar and celtic sea salt....

in terms of chocolate smothering... does dark choc have dairy in?

PostBellumBugsy Tue 21-May-13 10:19:57

Check out Elana's Pantry www.elanaspantry.com. Really great website with plenty of gluten and dairy free cakes.

iseenodust Tue 21-May-13 10:19:27

ps You can smother it in melted chocolate / decorations.

iseenodust Tue 21-May-13 10:17:00

This is fab and easy. I have a coeliac friend who makes it often.

hi guys,

a small job but would appreciate your advice:

hubbies birthday and we are going down with pur five year old to his parents. really want to take a little
birthday cake for did to decorate and dh to enjoy with family etc.

Dear Grandad Crumble has recently had to go wheat and dairy free. he is managing and improving so much but neither of them have time or confidence to make sponge cake. I love baking and, due to being jobless and back injury have to sit but have lots of time...

So... I have made low fat cakes with peach or apple or carrot instead..or could buy some dairy free marg?.. and I have half a bag of wheat free SR flour...... chocolate cake would be best... or plain / vanilla..

All advice most appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now