Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Storing cake with frosting

(9 Posts)
sharond101 Tue 21-May-13 13:01:54

Excellent ideas I can do the oven or an underbed storage box. I have a tray to serve it on which I will use to store it too. I am so excited.

TobyLerone Tue 21-May-13 12:18:52

It'll be fine uncovered. The underbed storage box is a great idea!

I always keep large cakes in the oven (turned off, obviously) overnight, if they won't fit in a cake tin.

sharond101 Tue 21-May-13 12:10:43
TeamEdward Tue 21-May-13 08:30:16

If you are making Friday for Saturday, it will be fine out of the fridge if it's butter icing/frosting. Cover with a foil tent.
If you put it in the fridge it may get condensation. Also, if you use any fondant icing or other decorations, the colours may run if stored in the fridge.

MoreBeta Tue 21-May-13 08:24:25

I find fridge always makes frosting, even butter icing go brittle. I would do it on the day.

I generally then would then keep in a cool room until served but lightly covered with a foil cloche that does not touch the top or sides of tyeh cake. In fact I generally use a very large square cake tin or even just a large sealed cardboard box placed over it upside down just to keep flies/dust off.

Icing generally has so much sugar in it that it will not go off in a day or so even at room temp. If it is covered/filled in fresh cream or cream cheese then off course it has to be in a fridge.

wonkylegs Tue 21-May-13 08:16:48

If you don't have Tupperware big enough what about a big plastic storage box.
I used a large plastic underbed box for DSs giant gruffalo cake, on the side in the dining room (coolish/darkish room). It was also useful for transporting it to the party venue.

bootsycollins Tue 21-May-13 08:03:33

Honestly if your making it the day before it'll be fine in a cupboard with some tin foil covering it.

I recently did my sister's wedding cake with butter icing/ganache and the advice from my professional baking Aunty was to avoid fridge and it can cause condensation. it was tricky as she said optimum was uncovered and not in fridge.... which goes against what feels best.

I put cakes in t towel which absorbed moisture then foil round in cool place.

what is your cake like?

sharond101 Tue 21-May-13 07:55:39

I am baking DS a 1st birthday cake on Friday to serve at his party on Saturday. It will be covered in frosting. How is the best way to store this? In the fridge or at room temperature? It is long in shape and I don't have an air tight tin or box big enough to put it in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now