ipad cake-pic included

(7 Posts)
MikeLitoris Mon 20-May-13 19:24:28

I think I may have to decline this one. I know I could do a decent effort but I would hate giving a cake to someone if it wasn't 100% the best I could make it. I dont know If I have the time to get it right. I have loads on atm.

Definitely one for me to try in future though.

NoForkNKnife Mon 20-May-13 18:48:13

Got all the icing and paint in hobby craft.

NoForkNKnife Mon 20-May-13 18:47:11

I've done one!
I iced the whole sponge in black icing. To make the 'screen' I painted on some iridescent edible paint. I then stuck on squares of coloured icing for the apps.
It wasn't perfect, but it was obvious what it was and went down very well with DH.

bisley Mon 20-May-13 18:33:58

Pastillage is ok, you can buy powder mixes and the finish wouldn't have to be too smooth if you then cover it with fondant. I've seen your cakes, they're great!

Iced board would be fine though if you're pressed for time. Maybe some piping gel painted on as a top layer to make it glossy? Not used it before bu have seen it used for a wet look.

MikeLitoris Mon 20-May-13 18:10:12

I don't think I'm quite up to pastillage just yet! I am very much a beginner when it comes to decorating.

when i first saw this I flat refused to do it but looking closer it doesn't look too hard.

bisley Mon 20-May-13 18:05:45

An iced board, or if you wanted it all edible maybe pastillage? It'd have the strength to stay like that, but I'd be nervous handling such a large piece as it's quite brittle.

MikeLitoris Mon 20-May-13 18:01:49

If you were making a cake like this how would you do the ipad on top?

it looks a bit to thin to be cake so I'm guessing its an iced board or maybe just a dried out fondant rectangle? (would it stay like that without breaking?)

any one seen any tutorials for something like this?

I'd normally just have a go at doing one but I'm really pressed for time atm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now