Irn Bru Cupcakes?

(18 Posts)
DorisShutt Sun 19-May-13 17:57:06

And no, they're not terribly Bru-ey but you can taste it IYSWIM.

My whole family loves them!

DorisShutt Sun 19-May-13 17:56:01

Very welcome - glad they worked! smile

Thank you so much Doris I made them with your suggested 160ml of Irn Bru in normal cupcake cases and it worked, they didn't rise as much as I hoped but I'm going to shove a load of icing on them so it won't matter too much, they are delicious though.

Irn Bru ice cream? I have never heard of that either, I shall be keeping my eyes peeled for that one.

Once again Doris a massive, massive THANK YOU flowers

IslaValargeone Sun 19-May-13 17:35:46

Doris were they quite irn bruey?

DD's going t make some tomorrow.
Actually, there's a shop round the corner from me that sells Irn Bru ice cream which is suprisingly ok considering I don't like Irn bru or ice cream.

DorisShutt Sat 18-May-13 17:31:51

Right. I used 160ml of Bru and simmered it down.

I used large cupcake cases, but found the mixture didn't rise too well - lovely and light, but they look a bit like shot puts.

Next time I'm going for smaller cases with more of them.

On the up side, they taste amazing!

I'm ill right now but the idea of these has made me hungry. Mmmmmmmm

IslaValargeone Sat 18-May-13 16:36:34

OOh irn bru cupcakes - food of the Gods.
I shall definitely have a go at these.
My mum used to live near to the Barr's factory in Glasgow.

EggInABap Sat 18-May-13 16:31:27

Why am I thinking it should be iron bru instead of irn bru? Did I have it wrong all these years? (admittedly haven't drunk any for about 25 years grin)

Oooh DD would love these.

Great thank you, I have all the stuff in, I'm making mine tomorrow. I also bought blue food colouring so if they fail I can make normal cakes with scotland flags iced on top grin did you try simmering the irn bru down first, or did you stick to the recipe?

DorisShutt Sat 18-May-13 16:22:50

Mine are in the oven!

Will update with edibility or not!

DorisShutt Fri 17-May-13 12:23:45

Well, edible was a given.

Mind you, I think I now know what I'll be doing this weekend grin I'd forgotten all about them!

Thank you Doris flowers I didn't even know where to start, there were so many different ones. I shall give them a try tomorrow, edible is all I'm aiming for grin

DorisShutt Fri 17-May-13 12:15:31

Try this one

My friend did it and said they were lovely - but not terribly "Bru"-y, I think she was planning to simmer down the Irn-Bru next time to make the flavour more intense, but they were very edible apparently.

I've never tried diet irn bru, not that I'm skinny and don't need it, more like changing my normal bru to diet would be like trying to fill in the Grand Canyon using a teaspoon and a wheelbarrow full of dirt, pointless and unlikely to make much difference grin

The recipies I have seen range from adding marshmallow and ginger to the cake mix to adding irn bru into the icing, I don't have time to test thousands of recipes before next week.

Chocotrekkie Fri 17-May-13 11:45:16

God my 2 favourite things in the world together - how did I not know these existed << wonders if they'll work with the diet bru I have in >>

I have been searching online and have found about a million recipes for these, does anyone have a tried and tested one please, there is a school bake sale next week and my wonderful daughter has told the teacher I will be making 'Scottish cakes' for the occassion for some reason, so I thought I would give these a bash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now