MN CHALLENGE: IDENTIFY THIS NESTLING I FOUND IN THE GARDEN

(47 Posts)

We found it under the trampoline. It looks like it had an injured leg. It also looked shaky and scared, and the heart was beating really fast.

It looks quite big in the picture, but really it was as small as a big Charlotte potatoe. Gorgeous. Look at the white and yellow details on the feathers!

Could it be a Hoopoe?

Hmm. I've not seen a magpie chick but I would imagine that to be around sparrow-sized. A goldfinch would be smaller.

Young magpies seem to be brown, black and white, as do most flegelings, but the plumage changes quite rapidly.

Juvenile goldfinches (as in, not nestlings, feathered, and just leaving the nest) are a reasonably pale mottled pinky-brown colour. They develop reds and yellows later on.

TBH, your location would be fine for either.

Just had a though - you dropped it in at the RSPB? They will know what it was, I'm sure!

Incidentally I really like the Wetlands Centre. Not been there for some considerable time, but hoping to get another visit in before the end of the year.

It is really difficult. Mine has no yellow on the beak, and not so much yellow on the head, it is very clear brown.

In terms of my garden, which of these two birds are more likely to nest?
Think south west London, wedged between Richmond Park, London Wetland center and Wimbledon common. With big leafy gardens.

Compare to this or this?

Ah I see.

So, could be either!

Ah, I do know that juvenille goldfinches do not have red faces - because I saw one last year and took ages to work out what it was. A young bird is generally inconspicuous, and therefore won't have a red face.

loopydoo Wed 15-May-13 23:21:02

Defo not goldfinch I'm pretty sure.

But goldfinch has red on their heads!

My bird does not.

Well, there is a slight blue tint to the white of the lower feathers.

It must either be a jay or a goldfinch. How exciting.

Ds will be very pleased. He was very excited about the whole thing. He wants to be a vet, and rescue wild animals, especially polar bears. grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 23:04:19

Yes Loopy...all this talk of Magpies and Goldfinch! THey have no blue and Quint's does! grin

loopydoo Wed 15-May-13 23:03:08

Ah yes, Quint - I googled goldfinch chick and it seems like a very good match. I must've overlooked the bit about size before!

loopydoo Wed 15-May-13 23:01:48

Surely it s a Jay with those lovely blue tail feathers?

Definitely not a magpie. It is a very tiny bird!

Based on the rspb birdfinder, the closest I get is Juvenile Goldfinch but I am still not sure!

Is it doing this?

A sparrowhawk (I think) having dinner on my decking yesterday.

MrsCosmopolite I will try that!

Aww, crazynanna.

Hoopoes build nests low. They "hunt" on the ground, prefer to walk along and pick worms and feed from the ground.

I dont think "mine" is a magpie, it does not resemble the pictures.

In the picture he is in the box.

We are redoing our garden, and had disassembled the boys skating ramp (dont ask) and dh was about to move the pieces to level the ground for where we are putting it now. He nearly crushed it as it suddenly seemed to bounce down in front of him, and ended up under the trampoline. It was sitting there shaking and his heart was beating very fast. My youngest crawled in and gently lifted him into a box, and gave him some bird food. He was standing sort of funny, so I thought he might have an injured leg.

I rang my local RSPCA, they have an animal hospital nearby, and they told me I could just bring the bird in. So that is where he is now. He calmed down in the car, and stopped shaking. And by the time we got there he even dared look around a bit. He was sitting comfortably in the vets hand when we left. He said he did not look very injured, most likely shocked and frightened so they would check him out and care for him. smile

crazynanna Wed 15-May-13 22:49:10

I had a bad experience today looking out of my kitchen window to the garden. 2 blackbirds (1 brown and 1 black so I presume male and female) sitting on the fence squawking like mad at the blackberry (very overgrown) bush opposite. Then...a bastard fox jumps out of the bush with 3 baby birds in it's mouth and runs off sad. But the fox came out of the bush way low down..practically floor level...do birds build their nests so low? They have wings fgs..to be high up? Fox then came back..and more squawking, so I assumed there were babies left. Started shooing it away..kept coming back. Had to go to work..came back..garden deathly silent...no birds. sad

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 15-May-13 22:47:27

I'd go with young Magpie. I can't do the fancy picture thing on my IPad but see this for a comparisson

Have you tried using the RSPB online bird identifier? You can put in size, location etc. and try to ID it that way?

It looks quite like a corvid of some sort - I wonder if it is a young magpie.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 22:43:47

What happened to him Quint? Was he ok? sad

Oh.

I had not seen that.

Ba Ba Boom.

RustyBear Wed 15-May-13 22:40:20

There's a topic in the Fun and Games section called 'Have You Seen This?'where you can post pictures.

And there is no yellow in your box Viva, also the head is a bit different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now