Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

MN CHALLENGE: IDENTIFY THIS NESTLING I FOUND IN THE GARDEN

(47 Posts)

We found it under the trampoline. It looks like it had an injured leg. It also looked shaky and scared, and the heart was beating really fast.

It looks quite big in the picture, but really it was as small as a big Charlotte potatoe. Gorgeous. Look at the white and yellow details on the feathers!

Could it be a Hoopoe?

MousyMouse Wed 15-May-13 22:21:56

this is definitly not a cake wink

wildlife vet nearby?

No, it is not a cake, not even a frozen Birdseye cake wink

But it is as far as I know the only section where a pic is allowed directly in the post!

Bigger pic in my profile!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 22:27:47

I think that's a very young bird....and because it's not fully grown and also in a huddled position, it's harder to identify. It's not a Hoopoe in my opinion. It looks a bit like a baby Jay

Here's a very young Jay which is not fluffed up...but you can see the similar colours.

RustyBear Wed 15-May-13 22:28:16

Are you in Britain? Hoopoes nest very rarely in Britain, so fairly unlikely. It could be a woodpecker.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 22:30:13

Woodpeckers have slimmer beaks...that's a Jay...I'll bet you a frozen dinner it is. grin

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 15-May-13 22:31:39

it looks like a baby Jay

RustyBear Wed 15-May-13 22:31:57

How long have we been able to post pictures from an iPad? You couldn't do it last time I looked!

Baby woodpeckers

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 22:34:09

Oh we're doing that of course we are! Welll I've never done this so I hope it works but here's my Jay pic too! grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 22:34:15

Yay!

It could be a jay, but the images of baby jays are more grey - blue.

We are not far from the wetland center, so we do get a fair amount of unusual birds passing by. But, hoopes are migrating not nesting here?

That jay looks quite similar. More similar than woodpecker chicks!

RustyBear Wed 15-May-13 22:36:14

Yes, could be a jay - we had a family in our garden last year but I didn't see them till they were fully fledged

Jays in our garden (just because I can!)

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 22:36:23

Quint...in the USA and other countries Jays are more blue...google Jays from Britain. Ours are less glam.

I just noticed that the images pops up big when clicking on them.
How cool is that! grin

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-May-13 22:36:57

Magpie is my first thought but not sure

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 22:37:20

Note how black the black feathers on the Jay's wings are..and how black the ones are in your pic of the baby Quint.

Oh Rusty, how cute are they?

RustyBear Wed 15-May-13 22:37:32

Orientation fail! blush

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-May-13 22:38:15

Here

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 22:39:06

viva he's very cute in his tupperware but he has no blue.

It is a very clear dark black.

It was so cute, and so small. It was really windy last night. We have lots of mature trees surrounding our garden, so it could have fallen from a nest.

And there is no yellow in your box Viva, also the head is a bit different.

RustyBear Wed 15-May-13 22:40:20

There's a topic in the Fun and Games section called 'Have You Seen This?'where you can post pictures.

Oh.

I had not seen that.

Ba Ba Boom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now