Why are my cupcakes crunchy on the top?

(8 Posts)
bedmonster Fri 10-May-13 10:50:22

Okay, thanks for the advice, will try mixing a lot longer and putting water in the bottom of the oven. Thankyou very much! smile

LeaveTheBastid Thu 09-May-13 23:45:27

Cream the butter and sugar for double the time you are, should be fine. It should look like buttercream before you add anything else to it. Do not do as I did and forget that you're creaming butter and caster sugar not icing sugar, and scoff a big dollop off your finger, bleurgh!

morethanpotatoprints Thu 09-May-13 22:46:08

x post with cakebitch grin

morethanpotatoprints Thu 09-May-13 22:45:21

Could it be the sugar? I used to get this if I hadn't mixed it enough.

Cakebitch Thu 09-May-13 22:45:11

Does it look like a little volcano eruption? Too much sugar in the recipe, or not mixing thououghly.

MrsLettuce Thu 09-May-13 22:44:22

A bowl of boiling water sat in the bottom of the oven during cooking should help.

I have this problem with lemon drizzle cake as well.

Try tin foil over the top, or very watery icing sugar mix on top as they are cooling. (last one only on the basis that lemon drizzle cake goes nice and soft again on top once it has been drizzled)

bedmonster Thu 09-May-13 22:40:10

Every time I make them, they go hard on the top. I have tried cooking at a lower temp for a bit longer, still the same. Why do they not stay fluffy and light on the top? The sponge itself is lovely, but every time I make them, the top is crunchy sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now