Will this long-frozen cake still be edible/safe to eat?

(7 Posts)
PoppyWearer Thu 02-May-13 19:12:47

Thank you for the further replies.

Frozen cake should not be a problem at all. We had several cakes left over from my Fathers funeral, and we have since eaten them all, and not yet joined him! No problem with taste at all.

DalaHorse Wed 01-May-13 22:12:59

A good compromise smile hope it's still nice!

PoppyWearer Wed 01-May-13 22:05:01

Thank you for the replies so far.

I suppose rather than wait for an occasion, I could cut it into smaller pieces and use as snacks for DCs....but after trying it myself and making sure I don't get sick.

So use a very very sharp knife and cut off and defrost part of it at a time.

How does that sound?

TessTheTeacher Wed 01-May-13 22:01:38

I'd say the opposite, I think it will probably be fine. I have frozen cakes before and I know muffins and cupcakes can freeze for months and be fine.

DalaHorse Wed 01-May-13 21:56:32

Um... I wouldn't think twice about binning it. i doubt a sponge will taste like a sponge should after 9 months in the freezer, and it's not as if it was a factory-made one pumped full of preservatives and designed to be frozen.

If food poisoning rather is your main concern then nobody here can say for definite if it will or won't be fine. I would dump it. (I wouldn't freeze a cake in the first place though confused)

PoppyWearer Wed 01-May-13 21:49:09

To my shame, we froze my DC2's 1st birthday cake last August (!). It was a hot day, after we blew out the candle no one wanted cake, and we had some ice creams and cupcakes on the go, and leftovers of DC1's cake, so folks had that instead.

It was a professionally-made one, a Victoria sponge with fondant icing (I think). It was MIL's suggestion to freeze it and I honestly forgot it was there! Eep!

So....it's been frozen since last August. Safe to eat? Will it taste ok? Can I leave it a bit longer (until we have an occasion to eat it)? Or should I just bin it? <sob>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now