Worst Chocolate Muffins Ever : 0 (

(15 Posts)
SAHRum Sun 28-Apr-13 19:57:33

Dry and not sweet at all - where did I go wrong? I'm guessing my oven is super efficient and I left them in for too long and the lack of sweetness? could it be because the recipe called for 125g flour, 25g cocoa and only 60g sugar?

Please can someone post a really delicious moist chocolatey american style (using oil) muffin? I'm desperate to make amends!

xx

ps is it ok to use olive oil rather than sunflower oil?

ouryve Sun 28-Apr-13 19:59:51

Muffins don't have a lot of sugar in. Or fat, unlike the greasy, soggy mounds you get in supermarkets.

You probably did overcook them. Olive oil wouldn't significantly affect the flavour, so long as you didn't use extra virgin.

SAHRum Sun 28-Apr-13 20:00:48

p.s. is there anything I can do to these not sweet dry muffins that would magically transform them into some kind of edible pudding??

SAHRum Sun 28-Apr-13 20:01:39

they literally tasted as if there was no sugar in them at all and I'd added chunks of real chocolate too

Could you rescue them with some syrup poured over them? Or make a bread & butter style pudding with them?

(These are just suggestions from someone who hates food waste. I am not a baking guru)

Or make one of those cakes where you mix cake crumbs with chocolate and fruit or marshmallows or something. Some kind of refrigerator cake?

Or stir muffin crumbs into slightly melty ice cream?

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 28-Apr-13 20:07:14

You could make a chocolate fudge sauce to pour over them if you have more chocolate left? Warm them up, smother in sauce, pretty much rescued I think (well, works for that microwave choc cake in a mug thing which is really dry when I make it.)

SAHRum Sun 28-Apr-13 20:07:52

it was this recipe - can any baking guru's see any problems with it or is it really just me who's useless?

<never has this issue with fairy cakes emoticon>

SAHRum Sun 28-Apr-13 20:08:56

I can understand why they might be dry but I just cannot understand why they do not taste sweet in the slightest shock

SAHRum Mon 29-Apr-13 12:00:11

right! have decided to make them into a bread(well cake) and butter pudding and see how that turns out.

and yes! I'm still going on about it ...

How did it turn out, SAHRum?

SAHRum Sun 09-Jun-13 09:17:25

bit late to the party ...

it looked like a dog's dinner but tasted really nice - obviously I added a ton more sugar grin

Tincletoes Sun 09-Jun-13 09:29:49

If you read the comments about the recipe, quite a few people say the same as you - one says they taste like something you'd get from a 24 hour garage!

Not much sugar in them although loads in the icing. And I'm guessing you could cover pretty much anything in super sweet chocolatey icing and it would taste ok! So I reckon is just a poor recipe, not you. Glad it all turned out ok in the end though.

Pumpkinsquid Wed 12-Jun-13 12:03:02

If you want to cheat slightly, buy a betty crocker choc cake mix chemical concoction vaguely resembling foodstuffs devils food is great, mix as per recipe, I always use olive oil and its lovely, and just make muffins instead. Directions on pack gives you oventimings for muffins too. It is foolproof and will give you soft fluffy muffins that taste lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now