I just made the most amazing Victoria sandwich thanks to MN, so I'm sharing the wisdom...

(16 Posts)
Scottishtanguera Mon 15-Apr-13 16:50:15

After reading Delia's webchat on here a while ago I checked out her website and noted her recommendation of using Lurpak spreadable so picked some up when I was shopping.
Realised today it wasn't in date for much longer and didn't have much ingredients around so opted for the classic Victoria sandwich recipe/video and the result is heavenly.
Honestly, I would serve it to those scary WI judges on Masterchef with confidence.
It has a texture that is lighter than air and the flavour is perfect.
I also followed all the other rules to the letter:room temperature ingredients, sifting flour properly,etc so maybe all those things combined made the difference.
So if, like me, you are a decent baker but have never quite mastered the perfect basic sponge then try it - you'll feel like Bree from Desperate Housewives. grin

Lilymaid Mon 15-Apr-13 16:52:17

I went out and bought Lurpack spreadable too! It is in the fridge but shall soon be used for my own "most amazing" VS.

Scottishtanguera Mon 15-Apr-13 16:55:01

You won't look back Lily, trust me. I left mine out for half an hour too so it was on the verge of melting though Delia says you can use it straight from the fridge.
Now, if they can make a fat-free one my life will be completesmile

CinnabarRed Mon 15-Apr-13 16:57:30

Linky to good recipe? Pretty, pretty please!

Lilymaid Mon 15-Apr-13 17:07:10

Presuming it is an all in one cake, use this recipe and use Lurpak spreadable instead of the softened butter:

CinnabarRed Mon 15-Apr-13 17:15:14

Thanks!

ShanksYoni Mon 15-Apr-13 17:15:51

Link please!

This is also a blatant place mark to remind me to try it.

Scottishtanguera Mon 15-Apr-13 17:17:38

That's the one(minus the mascarpone and raspberries with 3 tbsp jam instead). I watched the video tutorial for making an all in one sponge too which has more tips.
(A big bowl, you say? Who knew that was a must..?smile)

WutheringTights Mon 15-Apr-13 20:55:51

I just made a cake using that recipe too. It made a lovely sponge but the top and sides were soft, while I prefer them a bit crunchy. Are they supposed to be soft? How can I get a crunchy crust?

Clueless2727 Tue 16-Apr-13 16:16:39

Willow spread (from asda) makes lovely buttercream icing

Scottishtanguera Tue 16-Apr-13 18:40:06

Wuthering, my top was quite crispy but if you like it crispier you could try keeping it in a few minutes longer or putting it slightly higher in the oven.
These are just guesses though tbh.

TWinklyLittleStar Tue 16-Apr-13 18:48:07

So do you just follow a standard Delia recipe but use lurpak in place of butter? Would that work for fairy cakes too?

Scottishtanguera Wed 17-Apr-13 10:14:33

Twinkly, she recommends it for any sponge cake so I would imagine you would get a good result with fairy cakes too. And the recipe link upthread is the one I used(minus mascarpone and raspberries)
Watch the video tutorial on a basic sponge - following all the tips seems to have cracked it for me but she does explain in that why lurpak spreadable is the best choice.
I think there's a video for types of fat to use in baking too, but I haven't watched that one yet.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Thu 18-Apr-13 23:53:43

Mary Berry recommends spreadable margarine eg Stork rather than butter.

I use Aldi's Love spread.

pictish Thu 18-Apr-13 23:55:42

I always use Stork for a VS. Nowt wrong with my sponge!

Scottishtanguera Fri 19-Apr-13 07:13:28

Not saying stork doesn't make a decent cake, I've always used it p to now(as I could never be bothered to wait for butter to soften)
As I said I think it was following all the tips that made the difference.
That said, I think the flavour with the Lurpak speadable was so much better which is the reason Delia claims it is the best choice.
I have ordered the light version...<slightly skeptical>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now