Source for buying Non diastatic Malt powder

(5 Posts)
Busyb06 Mon 13-May-13 10:00:33

BTW You can get dried diastatic malt but not all dry malt is diastatic. Non-diastatic malt is used only for sweetening while diastatic malt contains enzymes.
I found this on a German website:

How to make your own malt

Soak barley in water for approx. 8-10 hours. Pour away water.
Put grains in a sprouting box, sprouting jar or a sieve and rinse with fresh water twice a day. (Basically, any container, that lets light in)
When the sprout is clearly visible (3 little white roots) i.e. as long as the grain but NOT green, put the germinated barley on a baking tray and dry out at approx. 80°C (this takes several hours). Avoid temperatures of more than 100°C to keep the enzymes intact.

When dry mill the barley in a grain mill or coffee grinder. There you have your baking malt.

Use: Add to flour of your bread at the rate of approx. 2%

Note: You can make baking malt from other grains.

Once milled, the enzyme activity diminishes quickly. However, you can store the dried grains (left whole) and mill them when needed!

Source: http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/830511187683446/Backmalz.html

orangepudding Mon 13-May-13 09:24:12

They have some here www.realfoods.co.uk/product/888/real-foods-organic-barley-malt-powder-bulk-wholesale Do you have a whole food shop near you?

Busyb06 Mon 13-May-13 09:17:29

Have you tried asking at a local brewery supply shop? They often have "odd" ingredients. Also health food shops. If they don't carry it themselves they might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

no idea but bumping for you

Mominatrix Sun 14-Apr-13 21:15:48

I'm feeling very homesick, and am going to attempt some sourdough bagels to get that NYC taste. I've scoured the net for recipes, and they all seem to ask for non diastatic malt powder, which does not seem to be something easily found. I checked on Bakery Bits, and they sell a Dried Malt Power, but 1) they charge a fortune in shipping and I don't want to pay more in shipping than I have spent, and 2) is it the same thing? Any recommendations for substitutes will be gladly accepted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now