Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Bread won't rise!

(8 Posts)
UptoapointLordCopper Thu 18-Apr-13 09:06:57

What happened to the sourdough starter? Were you feeding it? Still, it seems odd for it to die after 2 days. Hmm. Not sure how you test if the flour is OK. How about trying to activate the yeast with the flour - some water, some flour, some yeast, leave for 10-15 minutes and see what happens?

RockinD Wed 17-Apr-13 18:28:16

Thanks for your responses. I'm wondering now if it might be the flour because I have made the Paul Hollywood sourdough starter, the one with the grapes and that was great for the first two days, but has now died sad

StainlessSteelCat Sun 14-Apr-13 15:19:32

Even with fast acting yeast, I activate first in water - because I do not want to have kneaded dough only to find out the yeast won't work! I do this as a hangover from when I didn't bake very often and used out of date yeast regularly. So, measure out slightly less than the water/liquid used in the recipe, use tepid water as this activates the yeast faster, then add your yeast and a pinch of sugar. You should get bubbles and a beigey gloop on top of the water in a few minutes. Add this to your flour.

If your yeast is alive when you put it in, then something has killed it afterwards smile Most likely is the salt - either mix the salt through the flour before adding yeast, or add them to either side of the bowl. Alternatively, you cooked the yeast by leaving it to rise somewhere too hot/too cold.

cheesecheeseplease Sat 13-Apr-13 19:46:45

check what sort of yeast you have the fast action stuff should have worked but I have some in a tin that you have to activate first with warm water and sugar smile.

Did you let the salt anywhere near the yeast?

mateysmum Sat 13-Apr-13 19:45:21

Did you use the right kind of yeast? Is it fresh? Did you actually put it in?!

Also the flour can make a massive difference. Had some recently from Tesco and it was crap.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 13-Apr-13 19:42:55

Did it not rise even a bit? Then I would guess it's the yeast. How old is the yeast?

RockinD Sat 13-Apr-13 17:43:59

Tried making bread this morning following Paul Hollywood's recipe, with dried yeast. He said leave for an hour or so and it will have doubled in size. Eight hours later - absolutely nothing! It's in the kitchen and I've been in here all day cooking and ironing.

Where did I go wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now