spotty cake

(11 Posts)
MikeLitoris Sat 13-Apr-13 19:50:31

So you put the frozen cake pop onto the batter? Straight from freezer?

In my head this seems wrong somehow.

Cake pops (and indeed all forms of cake) freeze fine - that bit I have done before.

Brownowlahi Sat 13-Apr-13 16:40:52

I've seen a link for this on Facebook and the instructions did say to freeze them as it made it easier to trim the cake pops into proper spheres, getting rid of any excess cake that didn't need to be there before putting them into the main cake. Having never frozen cake before, I have no idea how cake turns out if you freeze it though. I do want to have a go at this cake, as it looks fab, I just need to get one of those cake pop tins first.

MERLYPUSS Sat 13-Apr-13 14:31:11

Could you make the base cake (say chocolate) and an equivilent one in plain sponge. Then take balls out of both with a potato scoop/ melon baller and put the white balls into the brown holes. If that makes any sense at all.

The machine? That's what I have. I was thinking smaller spots. It's for a Great Village Bake Off, so I am prepared to experiment smile

MikeLitoris Sat 13-Apr-13 10:51:05

That link up there says to not cook the balls too much.

I've only got the lakeland cake pop thingy so my cake balls are quite small. Not sure the effect would be the same.

Might have a go with cake pops in a muffin sized cake.

Thanks. That blog is interesting, but I find it hard to decipher the cake mix complications (why don't Americans just buy flour, FGS?)

Mike - I have the same concern and (in a muddled way) I was thinking that freezing them might stop them drying out on the second baking. Maybe I will try a side by side comparison and see what happens.

MaureenMLove Sat 13-Apr-13 10:09:15

Ah, I saw that picture on my Facebook somewhere! It looks brilliant, if it works. No idea about freezing first, but sounds OK. Can't wait to give it a go, but I'll let you try it out first though! grin

MikeLitoris Sat 13-Apr-13 10:06:51

I've not heard of freezing them.

My concern is the cake balls being really dry?

Please report back when you've had a go.

LeaveTheBastid Sat 13-Apr-13 10:04:04

Here's a good step by step link

Love this, reminds me of Mr Tumble grin

So, bakers, a challenge for you:

If I were to use my cake pop maker to make spots to embed in a cake, should I freeze them (assuming you have the faintest idea what I am talking about smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now