Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Piping/icing equipment and tips please.

(4 Posts)

DD and I, still fairly novice bakers, are keen to branch out and make our cakes a bit more exciting by doing icing and piping and things.

So, we would be most grateful for any tips on good bags/pipe ends to use. Eg. reusable vs disposable etc etc. We are going to the kitchen shop tomorrow, but to know what to look for in the first place would be very helpful.

Also, in fact absolutely ANY TIPS AT ALL on piping and icing generally as to date, our efforts have been less than successful (I mean, how do you get that nice flat round circle of icing on a cupcake?! I have no effin idea!

TIA

I use these because I find cleaning bags a pita. Much easier to just chuck.

I bought this for the nozzles but there are cheaper ones online so shop around.

If you are going to be doing a few different colours of icing at the same time you will need to buy more couplers. Hey are the plastic bit that sits in the bag to hold the nozzle on.

You tube is great for getting started if you are unsure how to fit the coupler or how to fill a bag etc. Just search for what you want to do!

Clueless2727 Tue 16-Apr-13 16:23:53

I use disposable icing bags bought from ebay much easier, cut bit of top, insert nozzle then use pint glass to fill up with icing. I use 2 nozzles, standard cupcake icing google open star nozzle or 2d. Start outside work inwards. Wilton type 2m nozzle makes pretty roses. Start inside cake work outwards. Look on youtube to help you.
Recipe i use double icing sugar to butter ratio, always works well. I use willow butter makes delicious icing
Hth

Clueless2727 Tue 16-Apr-13 16:25:10

Sorry 1m nozzle for rose effect. I buy them on ebay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now