Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

scaling up

(3 Posts)
wiltingfast Thu 11-Apr-13 13:45:23

Ah you're great, thank you.

I might try just increasing everything 10% and seeing how I go. Experimentation is the route to knowledge!

tigerlilygrr Thu 11-Apr-13 11:46:39

Not sure that this completely answers your question but this table shows how to swap one large tin for two small, and so on, with volumes in cups. So perhaps you can work out the percentage change between cups and try that? Eg if the cake tin you have is twelve cups but the recipe is for ten, add 20%?

cake pan size conversions

Yes ok on reading that back it's a bit of a faff! I will look for a UK equivalent and get back to you if I find one.

wiltingfast Thu 11-Apr-13 09:02:41

Would you believe I've been mning a while and I've never noticed this little corner grin delighted to see it cause I have a question.

I like to bake the odd easy cake for the dh and kids but I only have a 9" tin and the recipe book I have (101 cakes & bakes) often calls for an 8" tin. Have just been using my tin and recently realised (am a bit dim) that the too large tin is probably why they all come out a bit flat blush (not that dh or kids care).

So how do I scale up the recipes? Or should I just go buy a smaller tin (am a bit tight).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now