Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Quality of butter?

(11 Posts)
bacon Mon 29-Apr-13 21:07:59

I made a sponge cake recently with farmhouse butter made with whey traditional farmhouse (Sainsbos £1.50 sold at the cheese counter) and my sponge was so much tastier, beautiful colour and light so there was better results. It was also salted and that doesnt concern me as the salt I think improves flavour.

I do buy the value butter but as long as its british I'm ok with that. If I was making something very special then I would use the richer posher butters that Waitrose sell.

Saying butter is butter is like saying a chicken is a chicken which just proves to me how out of touch we are to farming and mass production.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter

Seabright Mon 15-Apr-13 08:07:23

When I'm in the UK I always use value butters, unless I can get to Waitrose, as Waitrose do a double sized portion (500g) which works out cheaper than 2 normal portions (250g) of value butter

Mominatrix Sun 14-Apr-13 21:06:08

HarrySnotter, it sounds like the butter you were given was probably old, and not anything you did wrong.

Mominatrix Sun 14-Apr-13 21:03:43

Butter is definitely not butter, but I have found for general cake baking (where butter is in the background), any butter is fine, as long as it is fresh. For recipes where butter is prominent (butter breads, puff pastry, croissants, brioche), I only use the best butter on hand. Really good butter is a thing of beauty - deeper in colour and richer in flavour due to the better diet of the cow and also a higher percentage of butterfat.

Value butters are a pale cousin of the good stuff. Even amongst good butters I find there is a difference. The good French ones are paler and sweeter than the fantastic English ones (apologies, I have not tried the excellent Irish ones as they don't seem to be stocked near me). The good English ones are deeper in flavour - almost cheese like. I've even had a butter made from clotted cream which was out-of-this-world rich. I prefer to bake with the French butters, and cook with and eat the English ones.

Drladybird Sun 14-Apr-13 20:28:35

Yes, I always wonder about that. But, good quality butter tastes soooo much nicer, no?

TickledYonion Sun 14-Apr-13 19:50:30

But surely butter is butter. How can a branded unsalted butter be any different from a value butter given that there is only one ingredient in butter: butter?

Ha ha yes I think it always pays to invest when you're doing something like that!

HarrySnotter Thu 11-Apr-13 08:27:49

Ah thank you Chunky I suspected it might be. They still tasted nice but just not quite there and I had the feeling my arteries were hardening with every bite! smile

Not sure where bis units came from - Biscuits obviously ha ha

I think depending on the type of biscuit it's likely to be the butter, most biscuits are high in fat, so like any other main ingredient their quality will affect their taste (IMO)

I use a mixture for cake (depending on the cake) of good butter and stork but for bis units I'm a sucker for lurpak, my grandmother used it and although its not the best it gives me that warm memory thing when I eat them

HarrySnotter Thu 11-Apr-13 07:24:29

I asked about the flour so now I'm asking about the butter! grin I've been using unsalted butter to make biscuits with and they've been coming out really nice. (Have bought some Stork to try in sponges but that's a whole other issue apparently). Had a shopping delivery the other day and they have substituted the butter I normally buy (Kerrygold) with the Tesco Everyday Value one. Fine, much cheaper I thought but the biscuits I made taste 'OK' but I think they're a bit greasy tasting. Could this be the quality of the butter or that I've just made crap biscuits this time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now