chocolate biscuit cake recommendations please!

(9 Posts)
forgottoremember Tue 09-Apr-13 13:54:06

I want to make one of those fridge cake things - for children, not adults, so not too dark or rich.

Would like it to be fairly economical, so ideally to be using butter/syrup/cocoa rather than huge quantities of actual chocolate.

any ideas?

Thank you!

MERLYPUSS Tue 09-Apr-13 14:31:30

Smush up 3/4 a large pack of basic digestives. Add a can of condensed milk and glace cherries and desicated coconut, also chopped marsh mallows.
Push into a baking tray and set in the fridge. When cold melt basics chocolate and pour on the top.

Lorraine pascal's brownies are fab. Basic digestives, basic peanut butter, melted butter and brown sugar mixed together an topped with melted chocolate. Most supermarkets (inc Aldi and lidl) do basic choc for about 30p a slab.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 09-Apr-13 20:31:00

We did this chocolate crunch bars a few times for birthdays. Easy and nice. But a lot of chocolate, I think.

Heinz55 Tue 09-Apr-13 20:39:11

Whatever recipe you use make sure of the following: that your milk chocolate is Cadbury's and that it is about 60% of the total chocolate requirement and the remaining chocolate required is made up of 70% dark (or 85%!) - even for children this makes it rich but edible. Then whatever the proportion of butter (I never add golden syrup - sometimes a bit of whipped cream for lightness - my poor heart!) Then say the recipe calls for 400g digestive biscuits make up this 400g with some digestive biscuits, some chopped Malteasers, chopped Mars bars - and if you like them: chopped nuts. I don't add nuts but sometimes I add a bit of crunchy peanut butter to the chocolate/butter mix. The Mars Bar/Malteaser/Digestive mix is sooo indulgent and delicious. I would happily swap supermarket own brand on everything BUT the Cadbury's chocolate (and sometimes supermarket own brand digestives seem a bit more oily than McVities). Bon Appetit!

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 09-Apr-13 20:48:53

No no no. You need Waitrose own brand plain dark chocolate. grin It is SO GOOD.

wiltingfast Thu 11-Apr-13 09:07:55

A friend of mine makes FABULOUS choc bis cake and her recipe is v simple

200g CADBURYS dairy milk
200g plain choc
200g digestives
Ands she says 200g butter shock

I've made it with 1/2 the butter and it is delish.

It doesn't tend to set but tbh it never makes it to the fridge blush

wiltingfast Thu 11-Apr-13 09:08:50

Sorry sorry that should be

400g biscuits blush

forgottoremember Tue 16-Apr-13 09:50:11

THANK YOU all for these.
was v popular, but it's not a cheap cake, is it!
dh wants it for his cake this year though, so I must have done something right.

ruthyroo Fri 03-May-13 10:30:39

Do a search for batik cake. There are lots of recipes out there, plenty of them use syrup/ cocoa etc rather than chocolate, except as a topping. Apparently it is Prince Williams favourite cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now