Black fondant - icing sugar or not?

(6 Posts)

I use silcone paper to roll out icing (sandwich the icing between 2 pieces) it doesn't stick to the board or the rolling pin. And easier to pick up, flip it over onto the cake and peel back while you smooth it through the paper.

magicstar1 Mon 08-Apr-13 18:21:15

Don't use icing sugar...use cornflour. It won't fade the colour out like icing sugar.

If you want to use icing sugar, just steam the cake gently with an iron afterwards, and the icing will just disappear. I'm a home baker, and steam all my cakes, it gives a smooth, clean finish

TeamEdward Mon 08-Apr-13 18:15:13

You can also use a tiny amount of Trex to grease the work surface, or polish the icing after (it will leave a sheen - you could also buff the icing with the plam of your hand or a smoother)

You can do this and just smooth the fondant after it is on, as you smooth, the icing sugar will disappear. You only need to use a little sugar on the board to stop it from sticking.
In an emergency, you can paint on a teeny tiny drop of water, but be really careful, because the colour will run.

Good luck

Elsy Mon 08-Apr-13 17:50:03

Am about to use black fondant to ice a birthday cake but am worried that kneading the fondant in icing sugar will make the colour fade. Will it be ok? Or what should I use instead to make sure it doesn't stick to the board?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now