Help needed for a total novice - cooking a cake using a mould

(11 Posts)
redandyellowbits Sun 07-Apr-13 22:43:51

I am a total baking novice (I can't even make fairy cakes well blush

I've just bought a huge castle mould as I would like to make a big cake for DDs birthday. It's not till June but I am so crap at baking I figure I should start practising now.

Does anyone have any idiot-proof chocolate cake recipes or any useful tips for baking with a mould?

anonymosity Mon 08-Apr-13 01:59:27
tigerlilygrr Mon 08-Apr-13 17:35:42

I use a baking spray for my mould and it is excellent. I have a Nordic ware very ornate mould (love it) and I was worried the fine detail would be lost when I unmoulded, iyswim. To use the baking spray I recommend spraying each little crack and crevice and then going over the whole lot with a pastry brush (or any kind of small clean brush) to make sure the cake comes out really cleanly. I bought my baking spray from amazon but I think if you google you can get homemade recipes for it as well (I think it's basically oil and flour).

TeamEdward Mon 08-Apr-13 18:16:28

Dr Oetker do a baking spray - I think i got mine in Sainsburys.

redandyellowbits Tue 09-Apr-13 22:09:29

Ah thank you! Do you have a recipe you could share?

I'm going to try fairy cakes again tomorrow and work my way up from there :-)

tigerlilygrr Tue 09-Apr-13 22:29:04

How about this?

I have made the more spicy variation and it was a lovely simple cake.

redandyellowbits Wed 10-Apr-13 09:28:09

That looks perfect, the comments suggest its nice and easy to make. Can't believe I am even attempting a cake, will get practising.

DD better love it!

tigerlilygrr Wed 10-Apr-13 09:32:53

Hope it works. Ovens differ but you will know if your cake is done if a skewer comes out clean when you've inserted it. Do you have a fan assisted oven? If so you will probably need 5-10 minutes less time. Also do not open the oven at all while baking. Hth!

TeamEdward Wed 10-Apr-13 11:59:22

Can I suggest you use a Madeira Cake if you are using a big tin and plan on lots of heavy icing or decoration? Madeira holds it shape better than "normal" sponge cake and it keeps longer too.

Mominatrix Sun 14-Apr-13 20:54:06

I have a regularly asked for and used chocolate cake recipe which is a fabulous texture for icing. Also, because it is made with yoghurt, it is light, fluffy and moist.

Ingredients:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
-1.5 tsp baking soda
- 113g softened unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups plain (full fat) yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

PREHEAT OVEN TO 175C
1. Sift flour and cocoa
2. Cream sugar and butter until pale and fluffy
3. Add eggs into creamed sugar/butter mixture one at a time, fully incorporating each egg
4. Add in dry ingredients, baking soda, and yoghurt in thirds. Mix gently (will help have a lighter cake)
5. Mix in vanilla
6. Put mixture into prepared pan
7. Bake for 45-55 minutes
8. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a rack to cool completely

Tip for baking with mould: Get a baking spray (I use Easy Bake), and after cake has cooled a bit, use a serated knife parallel to the tin to flatten the bottom. When inverting onto the cooling rack, I put a piece of greaseproof paper bigger than the cake on so that I can transfer the cake easily to the presentation tray

Good Luck!

kefybaby Tue 16-Apr-13 19:24:58

I also just made a trial castle cake for DD's birthday. I used this recipe (not chocolate but had been "sized" for the mould). A few bits of the cake broke off. I had put vegetable oil and a thin layer of flour on the mould before pouring in the mixture. I think I will try the spray next!! How long should I let the cake cool down for?
My cake also came out a bit "distorted". Any advice on how to help the mould retain its shape? The mould I have is the one shown on the site above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now