How do I make a bedroom cake?

(10 Posts)
ThePendant Sat 13-Apr-13 12:55:23

I could. But I want to do something nicer than that smile

TomArchersSausage Sat 13-Apr-13 12:47:56

Couldn't you just take a photo of his room and have it put onto a cake?confused

ThePendant Sat 13-Apr-13 12:43:03

Help!!!!

I followed the recipe (except had to use gelatin sheets not powder).

This made something similar to crumble mix. So I added more water.

Then I rolled it out and it just looked cracked and awful and ended up in the bin sad

Any suggestions on why I did wrong? Or an alternative plan more suited to my level of ineptitude....

MaureenMLove Fri 05-Apr-13 23:22:52

I suggest rolling it out on grease proof paper and you can cut it to shape straight away.

When I made the turrets I covered kitchen roll tubes in clingfilm first and stood them on a plate. They were hard enough to remove the tubes within the hour!

ThePendant Fri 05-Apr-13 23:16:32

Does it matter where I leave it to harden? Will it stick?
At what point do I cut it to shape?

ThePendant Fri 05-Apr-13 23:11:38

Thank you!

MaureenMLove Fri 05-Apr-13 23:10:05

Yep, most definitely! I have made turrets for castles which were paper thin and a plate of icing.

1 sachet of gelatin powder (enough to make a pint, it'll say on the packet)
2tsp liquid glucose
500g icing sugar
4tsp water
2 tsp cornflower

Put the water in a small heatproof bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on and leave to soak for 2 mins.
Put icing sugar in another bowl and make a well in the middle
Put the gelatin bowl in a saucepan with a little water and heat until gelatin is all disolved.
Remove from heat and stir in the glucose and let cool for a few minutes (it's really thick!!)
Then pour it into the icing sugar and mix it all up. It's a really tough one to mix, but it does come together. You have to have strong arms to roll though, it's hard work! It will set quite quickly, but if you can't work it anymore, stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften again.

You can buy the glucose in Morrisons for sure, as I'm doing a cake with this icing, this week and I bought some!

Good luck! I'd love to see the finished result. smile

ThePendant Fri 05-Apr-13 22:42:20

Is it hard? (no pun intended)

Would it effectively give me a thinish white sheet that I could then prop up?

If so sounds worth a try. A recipe would be great smile

MaureenMLove Fri 05-Apr-13 22:35:03

You could make gelatin icing? It sets like rock and would easily stand up without the need of cake boards. Do you know how to make it or do you want a recipe? It's easily at hand. smile

ThePendant Fri 05-Apr-13 22:32:09

Long story.... but I need to decorate a cake as my son's room. The bed etc is okay, I've done that before, but how do I do the walls? I really need it have walls for pictures etc.
I've seen pictures online where people have done this but can't figure out how to do it. Do I use normal cake boards and then cover them both sides? Sounds like a faff.

HELP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now