I have an urge to make a rainbow cake!

(6 Posts)

I made this one twice last week.

I got gel food colouring from Amazon.

SqueakyCleanNameChange Fri 29-Mar-13 20:14:25

Either paste or gel actually but liquid colourings will not work, so I thought I'd warn you just in case you didn't know.

Good luck, report back.

Thankhs! Looked at that Good Food recipe but it looked a bit complicated with whisking egg whites up and stuff!
Found a nice straightforward one so will be attempting it tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip about the paste colourings,Squeaky, I wouldn't have known that. grin

seriouslychocolatey Fri 29-Mar-13 17:16:57

there's one in BBC good food magazine this month. or link here to Edd Kimbers and martha stewart.
uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/654954

www.marthastewart.com/256688/rainbow-cake

SqueakyCleanNameChange Fri 29-Mar-13 14:04:19

Dunno whether a standard Victoria sponge recipe would work, I think rainbow cakes are normally a denser Madeira or yoghurt-based texture, but I will point out that the colours absolutely need to be proper paste, not liquid.

One with six individual layers of separate colours! They look so pretty... I have no occasion to do so, I just want to make something bright and cheerful to liven up after the horrible weather...

I have never made a Victoria sponge before... Is there a fool proof recipe that would be easy to triple up on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now