Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Just bought a breadmaker..

(6 Posts)
tigerlilygrr Mon 08-Apr-13 17:38:43

Do you have a slow cooker? I proved pizza dough in mine on a low setting (let it warm up for ten mins first) and it worked so well, I was amazed and pleased because I generally don't get on with my SC and it needs to earn its keep

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 27-Mar-13 11:40:50

You don't need sugar. I make bread by hand and often don't add sugar.

Thanks janek, that all helps a lot. I've been putting the amount of sugar that the recipe suggested which was 1.5 tsps but might try trimming it down.

janek Wed 27-Mar-13 10:49:40

The sugar reacts with the yeast i believe, but if you can taste it, are you putting too much in? 1tsp goes in ours and i can't taste it at all.

I put pizza dough into my gas oven to prove at the lowest setting, ie less than gas mark 1. I've also put it next to a radiator in the past. Or you could heat up your oven, then turn it off for proving.

Sorry - that first question was meant to be; 'do I HAVE to put sugar in?' - as in, I have been doing so, as per the recipe, but I don't like the sweetness so can I ditch it?

Do I have to put sugar in? Is it important for making things rise etc? I haven't done much experimenting yet <slave to the instructions> - too scared grin

Also - I made a pizza dough which worked quite well but it said to leave it somewhere at 40 degrees to prove and I couldn't think of anywhere blush. What/where might be a good place? We don't have an airing cupboard. Should I put it in a very cool oven?

Gah, I'm such a novice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now