Urgent cake tin problem!!

(7 Posts)

Because then they would all bake the same. But Glitch's idea is better - make one big one and slice it. Def don't use a different size tin - how would you put it together?

milkmoustache Sat 23-Mar-13 15:41:24

Thanks but DH has come up with a solution - we are propping up the loose-bottom of the regular 20cm tin (creating the shallow depth of tin needed) with a small loaf tin and hoping that the whole thing doesn't collapse in a heap. The whole thing is on a baking tray and seems stable - wish me luck!

Indith Sat 23-Mar-13 15:40:26

Can you scale down the mix to bake 2 cakes then mix up fresh cake mix and bake the third one?

glitch Sat 23-Mar-13 15:35:44

Make one big cake (in tin with high sides) and then slice into 3?

milkmoustache Sat 23-Mar-13 15:31:44

Um - not sure how that would help? And which tin to use as my third? Sorry, being a bit dense!

You could wrap paper around the two shallow ones and cook them all at a lower temp?

milkmoustache Sat 23-Mar-13 15:24:58

I am about to make a three layer cake and have just realised I only have two sandwich tins of 20cm. I borrowed another one but it is 18cm. I do have a regular 20cm tin with high sides but I am a bit worried how a shallow cake will do in that. The mixture contains whipped egg white so I am a bit reluctant to cook two cakes and wait while they cook in case the whites slowly subside. What is the best option - three sponges of different sizes or two good cakes and one potentially rubbery one? I can't decide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now