Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Urgent cake tin problem!!

(7 Posts)

Because then they would all bake the same. But Glitch's idea is better - make one big one and slice it. Def don't use a different size tin - how would you put it together?

milkmoustache Sat 23-Mar-13 15:41:24

Thanks but DH has come up with a solution - we are propping up the loose-bottom of the regular 20cm tin (creating the shallow depth of tin needed) with a small loaf tin and hoping that the whole thing doesn't collapse in a heap. The whole thing is on a baking tray and seems stable - wish me luck!

Indith Sat 23-Mar-13 15:40:26

Can you scale down the mix to bake 2 cakes then mix up fresh cake mix and bake the third one?

glitch Sat 23-Mar-13 15:35:44

Make one big cake (in tin with high sides) and then slice into 3?

milkmoustache Sat 23-Mar-13 15:31:44

Um - not sure how that would help? And which tin to use as my third? Sorry, being a bit dense!

You could wrap paper around the two shallow ones and cook them all at a lower temp?

milkmoustache Sat 23-Mar-13 15:24:58

I am about to make a three layer cake and have just realised I only have two sandwich tins of 20cm. I borrowed another one but it is 18cm. I do have a regular 20cm tin with high sides but I am a bit worried how a shallow cake will do in that. The mixture contains whipped egg white so I am a bit reluctant to cook two cakes and wait while they cook in case the whites slowly subside. What is the best option - three sponges of different sizes or two good cakes and one potentially rubbery one? I can't decide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now