How Do I Make chocolate Easter Eggs Using A Silicone Mold?

(8 Posts)
FOURBOYSUNDER6 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:35:14

Thanks !!! I'm more excited than the kids I think ! Bit wrong ! Off to find box set of Friends now !!! wink

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 22-Mar-13 11:20:03

I'm really not keen on cooking chocolate. The expensive stuff is nice, but the cheaper stuff is grim - it just tastes of cheap fat to me. Is it unsweetened, and has something in it (fat wise) so that it melts better? I think it's something like that, anyway.

I prefer to buy cheaper, good chocolate. The source depends on what I am baking, and for whom. But for my easter eggs (which I am RIDICULOUSLY excited about, btw*), I am using.... Lidl's chocolate. Milk, as they're going to be for kids. I am also going to try decorating (into the egg, so the 1st layer) in white chocolate. As long as you're careful melting it, it'll be fine. I hope.

* re my excitement, it makes me feel a bit like Phoebe's brother in friends. When he says his hobby is 'melting stuff'.

FOURBOYSUNDER6 Fri 22-Mar-13 09:09:13

smile Thanks a million ! Will give that a whirl ! Easter here we come ignores snow falling outside ps should I use slab of dairy milk or cooking chocolate ? Any culinary differences ???

Oh my dp has said make sure choclate is room temp first before melting so when moulded you dont get the whiteish lines

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 22-Mar-13 01:30:20

You need to do thin layers of choc painted on. My mould advised min. 4 layers. Painting on 1 thick layer will result in thick middle and thin edges - and will break.

Chilling each layer in the fridge or other cool place in between.

TheNebulousBoojum Fri 22-Mar-13 01:27:03

Stars is right, new pastry brush, silicone is best and paint the chocolate onto the mold. Keep it liquid with a bowl in a dish of boiling water.

If i remmber correctly you melt choclate than sort of paint on the choclate into egg shapes cool then when set ( best to get very cold in fridge) then you take egg halfs out of case then with a small amount of melted choclate dip oneside of the seam of the egg into melted choc then join with another egg case i used to wrap in kitchen foil

FOURBOYSUNDER6 Thu 21-Mar-13 23:24:14

Got one sheet with 4 small half egg shapes but it came with no instructions !!! Tips greatly appreciated x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now