How Do I Make chocolate Easter Eggs Using A Silicone Mold?

(8 Posts)
FOURBOYSUNDER6 Thu 21-Mar-13 23:24:14

Got one sheet with 4 small half egg shapes but it came with no instructions !!! Tips greatly appreciated x

If i remmber correctly you melt choclate than sort of paint on the choclate into egg shapes cool then when set ( best to get very cold in fridge) then you take egg halfs out of case then with a small amount of melted choclate dip oneside of the seam of the egg into melted choc then join with another egg case i used to wrap in kitchen foil

TheNebulousBoojum Fri 22-Mar-13 01:27:03

Stars is right, new pastry brush, silicone is best and paint the chocolate onto the mold. Keep it liquid with a bowl in a dish of boiling water.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 22-Mar-13 01:30:20

You need to do thin layers of choc painted on. My mould advised min. 4 layers. Painting on 1 thick layer will result in thick middle and thin edges - and will break.

Chilling each layer in the fridge or other cool place in between.

Oh my dp has said make sure choclate is room temp first before melting so when moulded you dont get the whiteish lines

FOURBOYSUNDER6 Fri 22-Mar-13 09:09:13

smile Thanks a million ! Will give that a whirl ! Easter here we come ignores snow falling outside ps should I use slab of dairy milk or cooking chocolate ? Any culinary differences ???

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 22-Mar-13 11:20:03

I'm really not keen on cooking chocolate. The expensive stuff is nice, but the cheaper stuff is grim - it just tastes of cheap fat to me. Is it unsweetened, and has something in it (fat wise) so that it melts better? I think it's something like that, anyway.

I prefer to buy cheaper, good chocolate. The source depends on what I am baking, and for whom. But for my easter eggs (which I am RIDICULOUSLY excited about, btw*), I am using.... Lidl's chocolate. Milk, as they're going to be for kids. I am also going to try decorating (into the egg, so the 1st layer) in white chocolate. As long as you're careful melting it, it'll be fine. I hope.

* re my excitement, it makes me feel a bit like Phoebe's brother in friends. When he says his hobby is 'melting stuff'.

FOURBOYSUNDER6 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:35:14

Thanks !!! I'm more excited than the kids I think ! Bit wrong ! Off to find box set of Friends now !!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now