Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Chocolate icing for DS birthday cake

(7 Posts)
pompompom Thu 21-Mar-13 14:18:31

I cheat and use the Betty Crocker stuff. It's ace, really easy to put on and sweet stick to it.

<lazy>

mejon Thu 21-Mar-13 14:13:07

I put ganache on DD2's birthday cake last month (just cream and chocolate mixed). I made it the day before and put it in the fridge overnight. It was rock hard - but I placed it over a bowl of hot water and it softened enough to spread on the cake and covered it in mini-smarties. It set quite solid again once on the cake.

Tertius Thu 21-Mar-13 07:15:24

I used nigella's ganache and stuck smarties all over and it worked perfectly. And looked amazing!

SavoyCabbage Thu 21-Mar-13 07:08:31

Is it the Angela neilson (or similar) one? If so, the ganache hardens in the fridge. So you could chill it until it is smartie adding temperature.

Sutherlandgirl Thu 21-Mar-13 07:00:35

Thanks!

RollingRocksandResurrection Wed 20-Mar-13 23:52:11

The icing I use is: 90g plain chocolate (pref 70-80%/1-2 tablespoons sugar/2-3 tablespoons of water in a bowl either melted in the microwave or at 180 deg. C/gas mark 4 and just check every couple of minutes.
Once done, add 30g butter and stir until the chocolate looks glossy again. Use a palette knife to spread over the top and sides - it sets really nicely.

Sutherlandgirl Wed 20-Mar-13 21:35:46

Hi

I have made a chocolate sponge (good food magazine ultimate chocolate cake) for DS 3rd birthday, I was going to decorate with ganache per the recipe then stick on some smarties, jazzies and write his name in icing.....but just realised that might not work with ganache! Its a classic chocolate/cream ganache, will that be too runny to stick decorations on to? And if so, what other icing could I do (NOT buttercream please!)

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now