Chocolate icing for DS birthday cake

(7 Posts)
pompompom Thu 21-Mar-13 14:18:31

I cheat and use the Betty Crocker stuff. It's ace, really easy to put on and sweet stick to it.

mejon Thu 21-Mar-13 14:13:07

I put ganache on DD2's birthday cake last month (just cream and chocolate mixed). I made it the day before and put it in the fridge overnight. It was rock hard - but I placed it over a bowl of hot water and it softened enough to spread on the cake and covered it in mini-smarties. It set quite solid again once on the cake.

Tertius Thu 21-Mar-13 07:15:24

I used nigella's ganache and stuck smarties all over and it worked perfectly. And looked amazing!

SavoyCabbage Thu 21-Mar-13 07:08:31

Is it the Angela neilson (or similar) one? If so, the ganache hardens in the fridge. So you could chill it until it is smartie adding temperature.

Sutherlandgirl Thu 21-Mar-13 07:00:35

RollingRocksandResurrection Wed 20-Mar-13 23:52:11

The icing I use is: 90g plain chocolate (pref 70-80%/1-2 tablespoons sugar/2-3 tablespoons of water in a bowl either melted in the microwave or at 180 deg. C/gas mark 4 and just check every couple of minutes.
Once done, add 30g butter and stir until the chocolate looks glossy again. Use a palette knife to spread over the top and sides - it sets really nicely.

Sutherlandgirl Wed 20-Mar-13 21:35:46

I have made a chocolate sponge (good food magazine ultimate chocolate cake) for DS 3rd birthday, I was going to decorate with ganache per the recipe then stick on some smarties, jazzies and write his name in icing.....but just realised that might not work with ganache! Its a classic chocolate/cream ganache, will that be too runny to stick decorations on to? And if so, what other icing could I do (NOT buttercream please!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now