Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

A Lifeboat Cake

(6 Posts)

Well if you look at a pic of a lifeboat and break down each little detail that you need it will be easier.

Life rings can be formed out of fondant. As can any of the boats features like the big thing the anchor rope is wound round.

Black liquorice laces for the anchor rope.

Polo mint for the steering wheel?

I am not too familiar with boats really. But if theres anything else specific you cant think of, post it and I am sure someone will think of something!

Cairncake Thu 07-Mar-13 19:56:16

That is a very useful site wannabedomesticgoddess, thank you. Not pricey either. My imagination is way ahead of my ability....hence needing help!

For the rails could you use those sweetie cigarette things? I think they are still available.

For the antennae, what about these?

Cairncake Thu 07-Mar-13 19:29:45

Some of those cakes are fantastic. That is exactly what DS is after. he is in the RNLI junior club Stormforce, and there was a cake in their children's newsletter. I have in mind using ready coloured icing and cutting the cake/s to shape, then adding details, but stuck on how to get them looking really good, like rails and antennas ect.

MaureenMLove Thu 07-Mar-13 18:27:40

How about some inspiration from here?

Cairncake Thu 07-Mar-13 18:24:45

I need some advice from experienced cake decorators. My son has his heart set on a a lifeboat birthday cake, he is mad about lifeboats. His mum (moi) is not the world's best cake decorator, and the professional ones are pricey. I really want to try to do it myself. I am ok with the basic boat shaping, and covering but any tips on the details like the rails? Any advice on any aspect of this would be so appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now