cake idea for 7 year old girls birthday

(16 Posts)
HeartShapedSaw Fri 01-Mar-13 15:25:21

Awesome. I forget that kids would probably rather see a pile of sweets than an artfully decorated flower cake!

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Mar-13 13:15:16

The one where you surround the shape with kitkats and fill the centre with smarties/m&ms? I have only seen that done as a round cake, but it got a "wow" from the assembled 6yos even then, so I would say a '7' shaped version would be a definite birthday-girl-pleaser.

HeartShapedSaw Fri 01-Mar-13 12:00:44

I can't think of anything she is really into, don't want to get it wrong!
I found a kitkat m&m cake somewhere, can't link as I am on my phone, but that seems easy enough to make in a 7 shape.

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Mar-13 10:33:53

or more ambitious bouquets?

Alternatively, you could go with the 7 shaped cake and just make it fabulous. Or is there something else that she is into (character, animal, whatever...)?

What about doing it in a 7 shape and putting moshi monsters on it - all the 7 year olds I know love moshi's!!

WorriedMary Fri 01-Mar-13 10:27:56

What about a giant chocolate cupcake? You can get a mould from B&M or Argos quite cheaply.

I buttercream the bottom and top then stick chocolate fingers round the bottom and tie a ribbon round.
Then use a 1M icing nozzle to pipe the top of the cup cake. (Hobbycraft)

Then you can decorate with a sparkly diamanté no. 7 and whatever else takes your fancy. smile

But if you do a traditional fondant iced I think fondant is ok with chocolate.

When I was seven my mum made what I still think was the best cake ever - big square cake, with the seven dwarves from snow white lying in it like a big bed! So little heads and feet sticking out from under a big fondant blanket, with Twixes as the bodies under the blanket, and a sack of jewels and a pickaxe lying next to the bed. It was from the Jane Asher book I think!

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Mar-13 10:17:27

Like this

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Mar-13 09:26:26

How about a bouquet of cupcakes? I could find some links... Impressive but not huge amounts of cake.

HeartShapedSaw Fri 01-Mar-13 07:53:02

A castle does sound awesome, but I worry that it will be too big and most of it will end up in the bin!

stealthsquiggle Thu 28-Feb-13 23:11:34

Fondant on chocolate cake is fine, BTW - use a reasonably dense chocolate cake (G&B's inmates cake is my default). If she is really keen on chocolate you could get Belgian chocolate sugar paste to cover it?

stealthsquiggle Thu 28-Feb-13 23:09:25

Castle cake with hollow turrets and put battery tea lights inside the towers so that the windows are lit up?

How about a castle tower made from cupcakes with an inverted icecream cone for the turret? That way you can use buttercream for the icing...

Eglantyne Thu 28-Feb-13 21:04:41

Butterfly? Round chocolate sponge cut in half and pieces turned to face outwards, chocolate swiss roll as the body. Then you can decorate the wings with icing, smarties etc.
I usually make a Victoria sponge and buy playmobil to suit the theme! Pirates, Olympics, beach, girl with rabbit...

SoHHKB Thu 28-Feb-13 20:58:40
HeartShapedSaw Thu 28-Feb-13 20:50:52

Im pretty good at decorating cakes (if i do say so myself :p) and my Step Dad has asked me to make a cake for my Step sisters 7th Birthday. I have no clue what to make, he is pretty unambitious and said a cake in the shape of a seven would be fine. The only thing my sister has requested is that the cake be chocolate.

I have no idea what to make, Id like to make something really cool, but it only has to feed about 7 people so not too big. Also I dont know if fondant/royal icing stuff goes with chocolate cake on the inside? I always make a plain sponge usually.

Anyone made any cool cakes lately? My sister doesnt seem to have many interests as far as themes go, but she is not a pink girly girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now