How long will cake/icing last?

(37 Posts)
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 28-Feb-13 16:14:14

I want to make a cake for DDs birthday. The problem is I will need to make the cake on Friday, travel on Saturday and serve on Sunday, and I am worried will be stale.

I was thinking I might try a rainbow cake with buttecream icing and jam (jam and icing inside as am worried about it being too dry)

If I made all this on the Friday would it keep/travel ok? I know jam might make it slidey so was going to stick skewers through middle under icing.

I am a bit of a novice baker so guidance would be very welcome. I am also open to making a completely different cake if it would keep/travel better. Dd is going to be 3,and will need to feed 9 hungry adults + DD.

(I am also vegan, but can veganise most recipes)

earlyriser Thu 28-Feb-13 21:36:46

Honestly, i have never had a problem with a vegan cake drying out! Sometimes if i have misjudged the liquid, it might come out of the oven dry, but if it comes out moist, it will stay that way.

for 3 days though?

earlyriser Fri 01-Mar-13 10:12:04

Yes! I have made fairy cakes on a sunday and they have still been fine to eat on the friday. But i use a vegan recipe and don't as a rule, use egg replacer, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 01-Mar-13 13:58:51

Hmm, I can see I need to do a test bake - not sure it will survive long enough to test longevity though!

Sarah1611 Fri 01-Mar-13 16:11:25

Try to avoid powder for colouring, use only as a last resort- it's not generally strong enough to colour well, it's designed to be brushed onto a surface.

Paste food colours are your best bet, go with sugarflair for best results. For a vegan icing, pure marg mixed with icing sugar and a tiny bit of water if required is fine. Add cocoa powder for a chocolate flavour or any essence for a different flavour!

Bake and cool a cake, then ice it ASAP- should last happily for 2 ish weeks before going dry/stale. Do not put it in the fridge! Store in an airtight container if possible.

Sarah

Sarah1611 Fri 01-Mar-13 16:14:20

Should have said- I've made a vegan cake mix using pure, sugar, egg replacement powder and flour a number of times with success :-)

I've also made a soya yoghurt based chocolate orange cake in the past which lasted perfectly for a long time as a wedding cake- better than the regular sponge cakes which were other tiers of the wedding cake.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 01-Mar-13 16:45:15

Do you have a recipe for the soy Yoghurt chocolate orange cake Sarah - that sounds amazing!

Also when you use the egg replacer do you just follow the amounts on the box?

Sarah1611 Fri 01-Mar-13 23:26:45

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/12/chocolate-orange-cake.html

There you go! HIGHLY recommend it! I left out the vinegar both times and it was wonderful!

Egg replacement powder, yes- same quantities as it says on the box. Using the powder with an average pound cake mix made a very light cake, so I'd recommend lining any tins with greaseproof paper as it doesn't come out of the tin so well. :-)

Bunbaker Sat 02-Mar-13 09:48:39

Please don't use greaseproof paper. It has to be baking parchment. Greaseproof sticks, baking parchment doesn't.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-Mar-13 10:08:54

Don't worry - I always using baking parchment now - even with my nonstick tins..

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-Mar-13 10:10:16

Thanks for the recipe - am salivating now!

Sarah1611 Mon 04-Mar-13 15:44:58

I've never had a problem with greaseproof paper! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now