Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

DS wants one of those rainbow coloured layered sponge cakes for his birthday

(41 Posts)
FakePlasticLobsters Fri 22-Feb-13 19:38:52

Can anyone recommend a good recipe for one?

I've made a chocolate sponge before but these seem a bit ambitious. And what's the best kind of colouring and flavouring for the rainbow?

sooperdooper Mon 11-Mar-13 14:22:39

When people have said use a lot of the colouring - how much is that per cake, a table spoon? More? Not sure what I'll use the colours for again so I'm not bothered it I need to chuck loads in!!

sooperdooper Mon 11-Mar-13 14:05:27

I'm going to try one of these later in the week, I've got some little pots of gel colour from Asda but I can't remember what brand they are - did people use normal buttercream icing as frosting or something different?

MsTimTam Sun 24-Feb-13 09:12:03

I've done a confetti cake, they are fab. Also made confetti fairy cakes at Christmas with tiny red and green Christmas trees baked into them.

My dds both want a rainbow cake for their birthdays in May so these tips are great.

I did one last month for dd1. I used Wilton paste colours, got them in Hobbycraft.

I love the idea of confetti cake. Must try that. Am doing a cake for dd1`s birthday party tomorrow.

seaweed74 Sat 23-Feb-13 11:25:31

The latest edition of Good Food magazine has the rainbow cake as its cover with all info on how to get a professional result inside. Mine's a subscriber copy so prob not in shops till tues/wed.

nappyaddict Sat 23-Feb-13 11:18:05

I like this kit kat and M&M one (or you could use skittles)

micakela.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/kit-kat-and-mm-rainbow-cake-15/

PeppermintCreams Sat 23-Feb-13 11:11:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

If not, try a confetti cake. Just fold bright sugar strands that you normally sprinkle over cakes into cake mixture just before you put it in the tins. The strands melt so they ate not crunchy but they leave behind loads of dots of color, really easy grin

fahmida Sat 23-Feb-13 10:58:18

Yes I made one last year for dd's 6th birthday. You will need plenty of food colourings. More than you think that you need, as the colours are not that vibrant once baked....
I made mine over a few weeks - freezing a couple of layers at a time, as the colours were not quite right!!!! So please give yourself plenty of time to bake the separate layers.
But it looked fab once made and everyone loved it! The pic is obviously as a slice, will try and load the full pic...

papooshka Sat 23-Feb-13 09:54:58

I made one for my dd's birthday. It was a bit of a faff to do but not difficult and it was a really good surprise when we cut the cake and I have to say it looked fab!

I found this blog online and copied it, yes to using gel dyes, and also I used 6 foil tins for the 6 layers and cooked in 2 batches. For the icing in between the layers I alternated between jam and the frosting for the outside.

http://kerrycooks.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/rainbow-cake/

Go for it!!

Crikeyblimey Sat 23-Feb-13 09:52:03

Hope the cake goes well.

This thread has brought some lovely memories of my mum back to me. Marble birthday cakes were her speciality when we were little. She died last summer aged 83 and it is really nice to remember the stuff she did smile. Cutting edge woman that she was!

seeker Sat 23-Feb-13 09:50:24

I've only manage to get bright colours like in the pictures by using a cake mix (which practically destroyed my baker's soul). I found normal mixture was too yellow-y and the colours were sludgy, even with gel colours.

christinarossetti Sat 23-Feb-13 09:49:46

Marking place for later......

OhMyNoReally Sat 23-Feb-13 09:49:14

Dr oetkers aren't strong enough for the really vibrant colours, they turn out more pastel in shade. I would try another brand like Wilton you can buy them online but I've never tried them, I used oetkers and they just weren't bright enough.

CrazyOldCatLady Sat 23-Feb-13 09:49:12

sorry, this one.

CrazyOldCatLady Sat 23-Feb-13 09:46:51

I love this one: http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/rainbow-doodle-birthday-cake/

FakePlasticLobsters Sat 23-Feb-13 09:44:20

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions, especially about the gel colours.

I would never have known they work better than normal food colouring for this sort of thing and probably would have ended up using far too much of the other kind to try and get the right colours.

And I will be looking out for the magazines.

Belmo Sat 23-Feb-13 09:37:32
AmandinePoulain Sat 23-Feb-13 09:29:30

My Good Food magazine just popped through the letterbox and the cake on the cover made me think of this thread, have a look for a copy op smile

BettySuarez Fri 22-Feb-13 21:46:03

I love the Ombré cakes on Pintrest smile

Jayne266 Fri 22-Feb-13 21:14:20

I have just done one of these I used gel colours From tesco and a basic sponge mix I did four layers with jam and buttercream in the middle and covered with a shop bought vanilla frosting. Yum

HobKnob Fri 22-Feb-13 21:08:08

I did it! <squeals>

HobKnob Fri 22-Feb-13 21:07:35

FX here's a picture of the one I made...

dikkertjedap Fri 22-Feb-13 21:04:49

Actually there are several beautiful ones on Pinterest. I would go to the Pinterest website and type in the search box: rainbow cake

You can get Wilson food colouring gel at Hobbycraft or online. You only need a tiny bit and gives much better colours then the stuff you buy in the supermarkets. If you don't like making cake mix from scratch I can recommend the Betty Crocker mixes (supermarket), they are lovely fluffy.

dikkertjedap Fri 22-Feb-13 21:02:07

There is a beautiful one on Pinterest. I will see if I can find a link, otherwise do a search on he Pinterest website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now