Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Plain flour

(6 Posts)
SarahGarden80 Sat 23-Feb-13 16:47:02

its easy to make self raising flour from plain flour:

just add 1 tablespoon of baking powder and 1 tablespoon of soda bicarbonate for every aprox 350g of plain flour and here you go, self raising flour is madesmile

spongebobmum Tue 19-Feb-13 19:47:15

Thanks so much for the replies, I will definately get baking powder or bicarb and use that, I had an idea I could do that but then though I was imagining that that was a solution!!
Ill let ye know how I get on when I get down to trying it, fingers crossed!!

megandraper Tue 19-Feb-13 13:14:01

Gingerbread! Yum.

FoxyRoxy Tue 19-Feb-13 13:09:01

Most cupcakes in the hummingbird bakery books use plain flour and bicarb or baking powder as a raising agent.

Mendeleyev Tue 19-Feb-13 09:24:07

How about getting a tub of baking powered? Then you can just buy plain flour and add raising agent as necessary. Some people recommend doing this for avoiding SR flour going off.
Otherwise you can make biscuits with plain flour. allrecipes.co.uk/m/recipe/4807/best-big--fat--chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies.aspx

spongebobmum Tue 19-Feb-13 09:17:33

Hi,
I have a bag of plain flour and Im at a loss as to what to bake, I dont want to go getting self raising, which most cake recipes seem to look for, as I dont get around to baking much so like the last one I had it could end up in the bin after sitting in the press for waaaaay too long!!! Got plain flour for pancakes but Id love to get back into baking, if I get back into the habit Ill get the self raising but I dont want to waste a whole bag of flour if I can avoid it until I know if Im still good at it!!
Any help or advise much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now