Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

wedding cake advice

(8 Posts)
JamNan Sat 23-Feb-13 12:59:04

I've got some mincemeat that's been soaking in Mount Gay slurp rum for the last two years. It makes fab mince pies at Crimble!

I also have a jar of cherries soaked in brandy that must be at least three or four years old. Spirit is a great preserver.

At least three days? forever? Marvellous news!!!

Thanks folks. Thank goodness for that

Carolra Mon 18-Feb-13 10:01:41

Mary Berry said in her Christmas Special that fruit should be soaked for at least three days smile I tried to find the clip on iPlayer for you but its been taken down - the recipe is still up there though.

DoingItForMyself Mon 18-Feb-13 09:58:23

...plus the cake will cook for hours so any bugs (from you or the fruit) will be killed off in the oven, but even so, I wouldn't risk making people ill by handling the cakes after cooking when you have a tummy bug. Leave it til next week.

DoingItForMyself Mon 18-Feb-13 09:56:17

alcohol is used as a preservative for fruit to make it last for months, it will be fine for ages! Even once its in the cake, the cake can be kept for a year or more.

oh really??? Huray!!! Everyone keeps telling me up to three days....

SO...... its half term... and we are busy. So if I wait till DD back at school next week when work is quieter.... it might be ok?

I just can;t bare to bake such a lovely lovely cake when I feel so dreadful (don;t think its a good thing to do when bugsare about anyway!) and also don't want two days of our holiday being taken up with baking.

Sure corny?

Cornycabernet Mon 18-Feb-13 09:39:45

ages!

I am making fruit cakes for my sisters wedding and hired the tins to make this weekend. Put fruit into soak and was looking forward to making looooads of mixture etc.

Well. I have a tummy bug so am delaying making the cake (few of us caught something at hen night sad no alcohol involved but my immune system is a little compromised..

Anyway..... my raisons and alcohol were not cheap.... and I just cannot face baking today.... and I have other things that need to be fitted in like an interview and stuff...

so, how long can I have fruit soaking. they are golden raisons soaking in rum and sherry in a clean, closed plastic tub.

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now