wedding cake advice

(8 Posts)

I am making fruit cakes for my sisters wedding and hired the tins to make this weekend. Put fruit into soak and was looking forward to making looooads of mixture etc.

Well. I have a tummy bug so am delaying making the cake (few of us caught something at hen night sad no alcohol involved but my immune system is a little compromised..

Anyway..... my raisons and alcohol were not cheap.... and I just cannot face baking today.... and I have other things that need to be fitted in like an interview and stuff...

so, how long can I have fruit soaking. they are golden raisons soaking in rum and sherry in a clean, closed plastic tub.

thanks

Cornycabernet Mon 18-Feb-13 09:39:45

ages!

oh really??? Huray!!! Everyone keeps telling me up to three days....

SO...... its half term... and we are busy. So if I wait till DD back at school next week when work is quieter.... it might be ok?

I just can;t bare to bake such a lovely lovely cake when I feel so dreadful (don;t think its a good thing to do when bugsare about anyway!) and also don't want two days of our holiday being taken up with baking.

Sure corny?

DoingItForMyself Mon 18-Feb-13 09:56:17

alcohol is used as a preservative for fruit to make it last for months, it will be fine for ages! Even once its in the cake, the cake can be kept for a year or more.

DoingItForMyself Mon 18-Feb-13 09:58:23

...plus the cake will cook for hours so any bugs (from you or the fruit) will be killed off in the oven, but even so, I wouldn't risk making people ill by handling the cakes after cooking when you have a tummy bug. Leave it til next week.

Carolra Mon 18-Feb-13 10:01:41

Mary Berry said in her Christmas Special that fruit should be soaked for at least three days smile I tried to find the clip on iPlayer for you but its been taken down - the recipe is still up there though.

At least three days? forever? Marvellous news!!!

Thanks folks. Thank goodness for that

JamNan Sat 23-Feb-13 12:59:04

I've got some mincemeat that's been soaking in Mount Gay slurp rum for the last two years. It makes fab mince pies at Crimble!

I also have a jar of cherries soaked in brandy that must be at least three or four years old. Spirit is a great preserver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now