Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Is it ok to make the birthday cake the day before or will it be drier than it should be?

(6 Posts)
TelephoneTree Fri 08-Feb-13 22:33:30

I'll either double wrap in foil or air tight container!

BikeRunSki Fri 08-Feb-13 22:35:17

it'll be fine, I always do.

TelephoneTree Fri 08-Feb-13 22:39:32

do you ice on the day??

IHeartIona Fri 08-Feb-13 22:42:30

I've just made a Victoria sponge for dd2's first birthday tomorrow. Would rather not have to do it on the day. Mine's not iced though.

bacon Sun 10-Feb-13 11:55:49

Be fine for at least 3 days and keep wrapped but watch any moisture in a room if its too warm.

Personally I rather freeze them, it takes the stress away and allows for mistakes in the bake.

Depends what you mean by ice? Assume a granche type then again a couple of days before.

Sarah1611 Sat 23-Feb-13 21:10:22

I make wedding cakes up to 2 weeks in advance (no more than!!) I ice it in 2 stages- slice through the middle and fill with buttercream and let it sit overnight, thin layer of buttercream then straight on with the sugarpaste!

Sponge cakes last better than people give them credit for! Though bare in mind wedding cakes tend to be a lot heftier than birthday cakes so hold their moisture better. As long as there's no milk or cream in the icing it doesn't want to go in the fridge.

Sorry if that's a bit garbled! I've got one eye on here and one eye on Neighbours catch up!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now