How do I make that flat icing for cupcakes please?

(25 Posts)
MaggieW Thu 07-Feb-13 10:15:32

Not the royal icing type but the icing I can make with icing sugar etc to end up with that flat even surface so that it can then be decorated. TIA.

tinkerbelle31 Thu 07-Feb-13 10:55:31

try this site hun for recipe ideas i use butter icing n fondant icing for mine hope this helps xx
www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/glace-icing-recipe-idea

Bunbaker Thu 07-Feb-13 10:57:41

Isn't it just icing sugar and water?

TakingTheStairs Thu 07-Feb-13 10:58:47

maggie, I agree, fondant icing is what you're looking for. A little dab of jam or buttercream beneath it to hold it in place. You could use ready roll fondant if you don't fancy makign it from scratch.

tinkerbelle It might be easier to read your replies if you use punctuation, capital letters and a bit less of the "hun".

MaggieW Thu 07-Feb-13 11:10:44

Oh thank you all. Ready to ice now! Thanks again.

tinkerbelle31 Thu 07-Feb-13 12:23:06

TakingTheStairs Sorry my grammar offends you, I shall endevour to use less colloquialism terms of endearment. I meant no offense.blush

CuttedUpPear Thu 07-Feb-13 12:26:33

It is just icing sugar and a drop or two of water. There is no need to buy ready made ( it's actually more hassle - you have to roll and cut it to fit) and you will not need a dab of anything to make it stick.

Just a teaspoon of the mix dropped on your cake and it will spread to fit.

This is how fairy cakes have been made for decades before all this cupcake nonsense.

CuttedUpPear Thu 07-Feb-13 12:27:28

ps. The correct spelling is offence.

stealthsquiggle Thu 07-Feb-13 12:28:58

I disagree. For a flat even surface that you can decorate (a la Fiona Cairns) you need royal icing - just not too stiff, so that it flows.

MaggieW Thu 07-Feb-13 12:39:38

Thank you again. The cakes look almost professional now! I put a flower of hot pink butter icing on the fondant and then a silver ball on top of that. Really pleased.

tinkerbelle31 Thu 07-Feb-13 12:43:54

Glad your cakes look loverly MaggieW well done

TakingTheStairs Thu 07-Feb-13 15:00:35

CuttedUpPear grin

tinkerbelle, you didn't offend me at all. I just found it difficult to read your reply.

TakingTheStairs Thu 07-Feb-13 15:06:31

Oh and it's a "colloquial term" or a "colloquialism", not a combination of both. And I don't think "hun" is a colloquialism, it's just a badly spelt abbreviation. wink grin flowers
<slinks off to Pedants Corner>

BeaWheesht Thu 07-Feb-13 15:14:39

Do you know what? I'm a bit of a pedant but really there's no need for the ridiculous nit picking on this thread.

I agree BeaWheesht

Really glad your cakes have turned out well MaggieW

Deflatedballoonbelly Thu 07-Feb-13 15:59:54

Taking the stairs. Rude.

tinkerbelle31 Thu 07-Feb-13 16:00:22

oh dear lord I only offered some advice on cakes and it's turned into an english lesson.
I thought this place(MN) is supposed to be for support,help and advice not trying to belittle people for not been able to use correct grammar/spelling.
Now I want cake!

TessTing123 Thu 07-Feb-13 16:04:31

Wow.

Why did everyone shit on Tinkerbell? Nasty.

There is really no need for that nastiness takingthestairs and cutteduppear
Why do you feel the need to comment on spelling/grammar mistakes? Does it make you feel superior?
Or do you feel you are being helpful to the poster who made them?

tinkerbelle31 Thu 07-Feb-13 16:18:12

It was colloquialism,term of endearment just to clear that up

TakingTheStairs Thu 07-Feb-13 17:17:51

(sorry to hijack your thread Maggie)
I genuinely found it hard to read Tinkerbelle's first reply, but with the tone of her reply to me I honestly thought she was joking back, so my reply to that was meant to jokey too. ... which is why I put in the wink grin and thanks to show that it was meant in a light hearted way.
Sorry if it didn't come across like that.

CuttedUpPear Thu 07-Feb-13 17:55:20

And I was just bristling with upset at the ubiquitous cupcake.

Bring back the fairy cake! We were taught to make them at school, with 'flat' icing, at age 13. It's a basic life skill ffs grin

jaynebxl Fri 08-Feb-13 06:59:58

Blimey!

Anyway, Maggie, how did you do it in the end?

runs and hides before the grammar police attack

jaynebxl Fri 08-Feb-13 07:02:37

Did you just use icing sugar and water? I can never get mine the right thickness to spoon on but not just dribble down the sides.

MaggieW Wed 13-Feb-13 14:01:04

Goodness - you turn your back for a minute and all hell breaks loose. Didn't realise icing cupcakes/fairy cakes was so controversial!!

Anyway, I too learnt to bake at age 13 but was taught the more bulky butter icing way of icing them.

This time I used just icing sugar and water. A recipe said 4oz of icing sugar with 1TB of water but in fact, it took around 9oz with several TB of water to get right consistency and enough for 16 cupcakes. I made it quite sloppy but it still stuck to back of spoon. I put a blob in the middle of the cake and then smoothed it around with spoon to fill in all the gaps between the cake and the paper case. Left that to dry for a hour or so and then put a blob/rose of pink icing and a silver ball on top.

Thanks for help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now