a chocolate cake recipe that actually contains chocolate?

(16 Posts)

I am making FIL a birthday cake in a few weeks. A chocolate cake.

I have only ever made a chocolate cake once or twice, so I havent got a favourite recipe as I do with sponge.

I would like something moist, a bit rich, kind of fudgy. And preferably contains chocolate. All I can find are recipes that contain cocoa powder. I realise I will need to use that too. But surely chocolate gives a nicer texture and flavour?

Anyone have any recipes they have tried and love?

Losh Mon 04-Feb-13 22:20:56

I have never seen a chocolate cake recipe that actually uses chocolate within the raw mix, other than choc chip, so your question intruiged me!

A Google seach for chocolate cake with real chocolate brings up lots of hits though, like this one from Nigella.

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/double-chocolate-cake-1322

It looks delicious and I want to try one now!

Blondie1984 Mon 04-Feb-13 22:27:12

There are two that I make quite often, this one

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

And this one
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3431/chocolate-brownie-cake

moocowmrs Mon 04-Feb-13 22:28:06

NigellasEaster cake has lots if real chocolate it is a pudding type cake as is flourless but very very yummy grin

Wow. Both of them look great.

I trawled the good food website, dont know how I missed that one.

I dont trust nigellas recipes usually which explains me overlooking that one. But it looks good and I think its a community recipe so probably more reliable!

I will be trying both in the next week! Thanks smile

Xposts smile

The nigella one is in the oven as we speak and the whole house smells like chocolate.

Theicingontop Sun 10-Feb-13 10:46:34

Chocolate mud cake! It's lovely. Can't seem to find the recipe I used though sad

ILoveTIFFANY Sun 10-Feb-13 11:05:34

I use Jo wheatleys! Perfect

bacon Sun 10-Feb-13 11:39:11

Yes I know your pain! I am constantly experimenting with different chocolate recipes and still you cannot make a moist yummy chocolate cake without real chocolate.

Lindys cakes is a well used cake for celebration cakes and it works extremely well - you can add orange, or whatever to it its wonderful.
www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/02/02/lindys-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/

The following in the baking world this is classed as good:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4577/wedding-cake--rich-dark-chocolate-cake

A chocolate cake has to contain some form of cream/yogurt to retain its moistness and flavour.

Yes, the nigella one was a bit dry. I did wonder if a small tub of yoghurt would have helped it.

That lindys cakes one looks very like a brownie mix I made yesterday and its delicious so I shall try that!

tb Sat 16-Mar-13 21:23:31

Make a standard sponge mix with plain flour and 1 tsp of baking powder for each egg. Add the same weight of melted plain choc after beating the butter and sugar. I generally separate the eggs, and whisk the whites folding in with the flour.

Sometimes, depending on the size of the eggs, I add a couple of tablespoons of milk to make it the right consistency before chucking it in the oven.

GrandPoohBah Fri 19-Apr-13 10:48:01

The BBC good food ultimate chocolate cake is very good. smile

ILikeToClean Wed 01-May-13 17:08:04

Echo bbc good food ultimate chocolate cake, it really is the best!!

I have made the lindys cakes one that bacon posted a link to twice now and it is to die for.

Very dense and moist and fudgy. Whole family raved about it. My mum had me write out the recipe for her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now