Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

silicon bakeware

(13 Posts)
Mamab33 Sun 03-Feb-13 17:46:15

Opinions about this please. I love the practicality but hate the taste/smell that it taints your cakes with and worry that it could be bad for health???

I use it all the time and have never found it taints the flavour. And it wouldn't be allowed if it was dangerous to health, surely?

MousyMouse Sun 03-Feb-13 17:54:11

I love my cupcake cases and the fact that you can wash them in the washing mashine but the bigger cases are just too wobbly, much prefer tins.

Mamab33 Sun 03-Feb-13 17:59:28

Thank you! Maybe just my extra sensitive nose smile

I have never noticed a taste with it. I love it for muffins.

OhMyNoReally Sun 03-Feb-13 20:36:41

I find it has a taste but only if washed in the dishwasher and it can be annoyingly wobbly. But it is easier to extract bakeware from.

nbee84 Sun 03-Feb-13 20:46:01

Agree with OhMyNoReally - if it's washed in the dishwasher it does seem to pick up a smell and taints the food a little too.

evertonmint Sun 03-Feb-13 20:54:17

I have some - not as good as tins I've found and hate the taint from the dishwasher which you don't get with tins.

It turns to pure, powdery carbon that holds its shape until touched if left in the oven running self-cleaning program at 450C shock

Other than that, I used to love it - no funny taste/smell

Im pretty sure they only should be heated up to 230C.

timidviper Sun 03-Feb-13 21:00:18

Mine were fine other than that somebody an idiot cut a cake in mine with a sharp knife and cut a slit in it.

Oh, the incineration happened due to InsaneToddler4 sticking the self-cleaning program on, unbeknownst to me - we came home to a smoke-filled house and in the end I was very, very relieved that the only victim of this incident had been a star-shaped cake'tin'.

I have since discovered the child-lock for said oven.... blush

Cooking in a condom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now