Cake decorating - how do I make flames/fire from icing?

(5 Posts)
CobOnTheCorn Sat 02-Feb-13 12:49:33

OK, I'm making a cake for DS1 and I have a picture in my mind, inspired by something on the web where there are flames licking up the sides of the cake, not on the top.

Can I pipe them do you think or do I need to cut templates out of sugarpaste, perhaps with a leaf template.

I think piping will look better but I'm not sure how to do it and what size nozzle to use.

Theicingontop Sat 02-Feb-13 16:07:07

It depends what look you're after, if you want a neat and clean look I think making waved leaf templates from stiff card, and using sugarpaste would be best. If you want them to be 'wild' I'd suggest piping them, perhaps with a basket weave tip?

Or I saw this recently, and thought it was an amazing idea:

cdn.cakecentral.com/6/60/900x900px-LL-60094f7a_gallery6778381337779020.jpeg

Wouldn't know where to begin with gelatin though grin

CobOnTheCorn Sat 02-Feb-13 18:24:17

Thanks icing, this is the effect I'm looking for.

I was looking at basket weave nozzles today but I didn't buy one...maybe I can experiment with the nozzles I do have and hope the birthday boy doesn't notice if they aren't too good.

Slainte Mon 25-Feb-13 16:20:25

Sorry if this is too late, have you seen this?

HTH

Urbanvoltaire Sun 03-Mar-13 01:14:05

I made this for my dds birthday;

pennysfoodblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/hunger-games-birthday-cake/

I used fondant icing in red, orange & yellow then glued the pieces onto the side of the cake. It was strangely therapeutic!

Hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now