Best cake recipe for a 20cm square tin please

(11 Posts)
CobOnTheCorn Fri 01-Feb-13 20:21:48

I need to make a big fat cake at the weekend but previously the cake has been a bit hard/dry which I thought was because the cake takes so long to bake.

I think I just need a new recipe. Pleeeeeeas.

Theicingontop Fri 01-Feb-13 21:13:15

I don't think you can go wrong with a madeira. If you're planning to fill it, have you tried baking in two layers?

CobOnTheCorn Fri 01-Feb-13 21:34:40

Thanks icing. I must have a Madeira cake recipe. Two layers is a good idea but I only have one tin of that size so I'd have to bake them separately.

COTC, as Madeira keeps so well, you could bake one on one day and the other the next day, but in fact an 8" square cake should cook easily enough as one thicker cake which you could then split (cut in two layers with a knife). A 4 egg mix should give you enough for a 20cm square pan.

peachypips Fri 01-Feb-13 21:48:44

Go on BBC recipe website and find the vanilla cake- maybe called a celebration cake? I made a massive one, and because you soak it in vanilla syrup before icing it is very moist and delicious. Worked a charm. Ill see if I can find it and come back...

peachypips Fri 01-Feb-13 21:56:30

Ok, so it's BBC good food website, easy vanilla cake recipe. It really is the best large cake I've ever made. Just multiply for bigger cake.

CobOnTheCorn Sat 02-Feb-13 12:46:49

Thanks 4 and peachy.

I found the vanilla cake recipe (it has Greek yoghurt in - yum!).

I'm going to try it tonight.

peachypips Sat 02-Feb-13 13:34:20

Yay! Can you send me a bit??!! We need a cake emoticon...

CobOnTheCorn Sat 02-Feb-13 15:50:17

It's in the oven now. Licking the spoon was very lovely indeed. Looking forward to the house being filled with the smell of vanilla [drool].

I might skip the syrup though...

biscuit in lieu of cake!

kiwigirl42 Sat 02-Feb-13 15:56:46

I made Nigella's chocolate Guinness cake yesterday and it is the best cake I've ever made. Unusual method but I'm going to use it again to make an almond cake using milk rather than Guinness.

peachypips Sat 02-Feb-13 16:12:05

The syrup keeps it moist longer term- depends how long it lasts! Cheers for biscuit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now