Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Bakers! Help me, I'm making Nigelas clementine cake, I have no ground almonds, but I have ground rice and almond essence...

(9 Posts)
JoyceDivision Fri 01-Feb-13 13:04:00

my MIL once told me you can use ground almonds and almond essence in place of ground almonds and its cheaper...

I'm stuck in wth poor ds who is poorly and was going to bake this

So, the recipe calls for 250g ground almonds, do I just use 250g ground rice and what amount of almond essence?

thanks!

JoyceDivision Fri 01-Feb-13 13:50:47

bump.

I wouldn't as think the ground rice is way more absorbent.

Have you googled ground almond alternatives?

TheInnerSea Fri 01-Feb-13 13:58:13

Do you have whole almonds? You can grind your own quite successfully in a food processor

hanahsaunt Fri 01-Feb-13 14:12:23

I think almond essence would be too overpowering as a flavour; not sure I would do it.

BirdyArms Fri 01-Feb-13 14:18:29

i agree with nicknamegrief, I think that the rice would be more absorbent and might make for a very dry cake. Have you got any other nuts that you could grind, eg hazelnuts, pecans? Or failing that I would replace with flour and a very small amount of almond essence - think the almonds do more for the texture than the flavour of a cake so you wouldn't need much.

JoyceDivision Fri 01-Feb-13 14:30:12

Oh, ok, so is flour ok as a replacement? Should I use s/r or plain? DS is very sad and snotty and would like to bake but I'd like to get something nice from the exercise rather than the usual inedible stuff!

Thanks for the replies!

BirdyArms Sat 02-Feb-13 16:13:47

Sorry for slow reply Joyce, you've probably made them by now 0 hope they turned out OK. You should substitute plain flour I think.

JoyceDivision Thu 14-Feb-13 21:24:25

oh thanks for the reply BirdyArms. I used half flour half ground rice as i was a bit worried, should have just used flour (as pAUL hollywood himself confirmed today!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now