Can you help by sharing your 'healthier' cake and biscuit recipes?

(12 Posts)
TheMummyBean Thu 31-Jan-13 23:29:43

My 2.5 year old asks for cakes and biscuits morning noon and night.

She is only allowed one 'treat' a day and I can usually deter her with fruit, which is quite lucky.

But it would be great to make her 'treats' a little healthier, and id love to know if you have any 'healthier' recipes for cookies, biscuits and cakes - maybe fruit based!? I'm thinking maybe wholemeal fruit muffins or cookies or flapjacks with lots of fruit...??

I could simply Google them but would love to hear recipes that your little ones love!

Thank u

mammmamia Thu 31-Jan-13 23:52:46

Bump, I'm interested in this too!

JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Fri 01-Feb-13 00:02:34

This is a very simple and relatively healthy recipe.

Measure a cup of all bran and mix with a cup of milk. Leave to soak for at least an hour. Add a cup of self-raising four, a cup of dried fruit and cup of sugar. Mix all the ingredients together. Put into a lined loaf tin and bake at 180 degrees for about an hour.

Theicingontop Fri 01-Feb-13 17:18:24

Oaty banana muffins.
allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/18026/oaty-banana-muffins.aspx

Though, I add less sugar than the recipe specifies, because imo when you use overripe bananas you don't need as much. DS loves loves loves these, and they're full of good stuff. I give him half of one, as they are massive. grin

Takver Fri 01-Feb-13 17:32:51

I make regular bread and add a couple of handfuls of sultanas to a 1lb loaf & knead in after the first rising - very good with butter and kind of 'cake-y' without being too sweet.

Homemade oatcakes are also very tasty, and you can keep the salt levels lower than in bought ones. I use 1 lb medium oatmeal, a little salt, a little bit of melted butter or a glug of oil then add very hot water to bind. Roll out thinly, cut with a cutter then either cook in a low to medium oven (turn regularly) or in a heavy frying pan til golden brown & cooked looking.

forevergreek Fri 01-Feb-13 17:36:33

We use annabel karmel recipes for courgette and orange muffins, carrot and sweet corn etc.

Drladybird Sat 02-Feb-13 20:13:07

I try to make sugar free and fruity treats for my little lady (22 months) who also loves her 'biskits'. I've put all my successful recipes up on my blog, I'd recommend:
banana banana biscuits because they are really easy to make and your toddler can help out too. These gingerbread and pear biscuits also went down well in the household (with adults and DD). As you can see, my little lady also helped to make them too. I hope you find the recipes helpful!

LaVitaBellissima Sat 02-Feb-13 20:14:20

I add grated courgette or grated carrot a lot, based on the Annabel Karmel's recipes, they are very yummy!

TheMummyBean Thu 07-Feb-13 14:36:03

Thank you everyone for your yummy suggestions! The ingredients will be added to next weeks shopping and I shall let you know what ones are winners in our house! Thanks again smile

TheMummyBean Thu 07-Feb-13 14:36:37

P.S Please feel free to keep sharing ;)

jennimoo Sun 10-Feb-13 08:26:38

This carrot and date cake is nice, sugar free too. I make little ones and freeze lots of them in a freezer bag and take one out the night before for DDs lunchbox. :
www.thingsforboys.com/2011/11/sugar-free-carrot-and-date-cake.html?m=1

No added sugar flapjacks, I make these loads but use less butter /marg and speed up the soaking of the dates by blasting in the microwave. And use plain oats and add anything else I fancy / have in the cupboard.
Right at the bottom of this page www.jordanscereals.co.uk/go-see-do/recipes/bakes/

bacon Sun 10-Feb-13 12:01:30

Flapjacks are not healthy they are yummy but contain tons of sugar and fat. There isnt strictly healthier cakes or biscuits nor eating vast fruit as fruit contains sugar and just beause it contains fruit doesnt make it 1 a day.

I wouldnt worry too much about it - its about portion control and agree one treat a day is enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now