Gluten and fat free/vegan cake recipies?

(7 Posts)
ProPerformer Fri 01-Feb-13 00:02:12

If it helps, the illness was pancreatitis!

Obviously that means she is on a VERY low fat diet, so even cakes like I'm thinking of are still a bit of a naughty treat, but won't harm her in small quantities on rare occasions. (Can you tell I've been googling 'pancreatitis diet!?) She's just so depressed about the 'no cake' thing (cos she LOVES cake!) that although I've been finding lots of yummy alternatives for her to snack on I'd love to be able to give her a little bit of cake on her birthday that she can eat!

ProPerformer Thu 31-Jan-13 23:39:30

Thanks everyone I'll look in to them. AFAIK she is allowed 'soya fat' but not other fat (she says she's not allowed eggs which is why I say vegan but surely..... :S She's veggie anyway so...) but I haven't really talked to her in detail about it yet.

I'm not someone who bakes often but DS (4) loves doing it occasionally with me as a treat and I'm just so desperate to do something to cheat my mate up. smile

CMOTDibbler Thu 31-Jan-13 20:04:33

I made this low fat carrot cake with Doves farm GF SR flour last week (and without the icing or the nuts), and it was lush. You'd have never known it was fat free, and it had frozen very well, so you could make her a load to keep in the freezer

trixymalixy Thu 31-Jan-13 19:58:33

What about this one? it says it can be made gluten free.

DameFanny Thu 31-Jan-13 19:53:47

Have a look at the intolerant gourmet lots of vegan and gluten free treats.

nextphase Thu 31-Jan-13 19:51:57

Do you want fat free or animal fat free (ie vegan?)

Gluten free and vegan in google comes up with quite a bit, but they all have fat in - normally veg oil.

Otherwise [[http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7229/my-mothers-fatless-sponge] has a comment that the flour was substituted for gluten free, and worked fine.

Good Luck!

ProPerformer Thu 31-Jan-13 17:53:09

Ok - my best friend has coeliac disease so can't have gluten and has also just gone on a very strict low fat diet for life due to illness. She's coping well, but is quite depressed as she can no longer have any little treats. So: To cheer her up I was wondering if there was any easy gluten and fat free (Though can use soya alternatives for fat) cake/bun recipies I could make at home with DS and then give her some of. Obviously she still shouldn't eat too much but thought if we occasionally made her the odd bun or slice of cake she can eat it may cheer her up without getting her in too bad habits as the bulk of it will be eaten by us instead of our usual cakes!

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now